Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerseystang

engine number

Can you tell me where I can find the numbers on a 351 Cleveland? Also, was that engine available on a 69 mach 1?

Casting numbers for the block itself are under the starter. You will have to remove it to see them.

Can you tell me where I can find the numbers on a 351 Cleveland? Also, was that engine available on a 69 mach 1?

Clevelands were never available in 69 mustangs. They only were available in 1970. Now there are one or two prototypes that have the 351C in a 69 but thats it. Many people swear that clevelands were in 69's but they were still testing the clevelands in 69 and weren't available for mass production.

Clevelands were never available in 69 mustangs. They only were available in 1970. Now there are one or two prototypes that have the 351C in a 69 but thats it. Many people swear that clevelands were in 69's but they were still testing the clevelands in 69 and weren't available for mass production.

they were never installed from the factory but were used as service replacements at the dealer

I agree. They were used as service replacements from the dealerships in late 70. Is it true that early 70 model mustangs that were H/M codes came with the 351W and the later 70 mustangs came with the Cleveland? I've always heard that they tried to use up all the windsors and once they were out sometime in production they switched to the cleveland. This however would vary by production plant though, as one plant may have had a bunch of windsors and the other plant may have only started with a few. My 70 mach has a windsor from the factory, which is why i am asking.

How many bolts are on one valve cover? IIRC, the windsor for sure has 6 bolts and i think the clevelands had 8. The water neck on a windsor attaches to the intake and angles up at 45° and the water neck on a cleveland i think attaches to the block and angles up at 90°. The heads on a cleveland are real square and the windsor are more round like the 302 heads. Check out the following link. Its my motor and is a windsor. If yours doesn't look like that then its a cleveland.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14642/dcp_1432a.jpg