Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maxxfish

Newbie w/ '69 Mach 1: 351 or 428?

Hey everyone,

I literally just bought a '69 Mach 1 today, and although I have some Ford experience (a couple of Early Broncos), I'm new to the Mustang. It's a beauty, and I think I got a good deal. Silver Jade, black interior, originally a 351 with Auto trans. (Pictures soon!)

The original motor was blown, and the seller said that the block was long gone, so the car was being sold without an engine. But the buyer said he had a few motors laying around: a 351W that he'd throw in for an additional $400, or a 428 that he'd throw in for an additional $1000!

Either way, the car won't be numbers matching, and either of the motors would have to be rebuilt. I would LOVE to get that 428. Is that a good deal? How much would it cost to rebuild? He also said that the 428 currently had 390 heads on it; is that a problem? Thanks in advance, max

I just posted pictures of a Silver Jade '69 Mach in the "Purty Stangs" thread. Great color. The 428 FE motor is a classic and highly prized, the 351w would be just another 351w. If you want more of a stoplight-to-stoplight drag racer, go 428. If you want to build a Pro Touring type of rig and would rather have more balanced weight front to rear, go 351w. It's hard to beat the mystique of the 428, except maybe with a 429 Boss motor or a 427 side-oiler.

Anyone know how much more the 428 would weigh than a 351w?

Great stang, I'm jealous!

An update to add to the confusion...

I talked to the seller again last night, he now tells me that he also has a 390 and a C-6 he can offer for $500. I definitely want the C-6. But will the 390 be much different from the 428 in terms of rebuild cost and parts availability? Aren't they the exact same motor? Will it bolt right up to the C-6? What to do...

the 390 and 428 are both FE series big blocks and most parts are interchangeable. the c6 will bolt right up to the 428. as far as rebuild parts most would be about the same cost wise, but the 428 pistons are likely quite a bit higher since the 390 was used in everything from mustangs to pickup trucks. the 428 was a passenger car engine only