Sean D

Front wiring - voltage regulator ground?

This is the end of my new engine compartment wiring harness, where it all attaches to solenoid and voltage regulator. Can anyone tell me if the black and black w/red connected wire at female fitting (center of picture) is and where it is bolted or screwed too? I believe the black w/red stripe wire goes to alternator, but what is the black one? Is it a ground and does it bolts or screw to one of the voltage regulator bolts to fender apron?

20171205_204347.jpg

Yes, the ring connector with the two wires goes between the VR and the apron fender.  Make sure there's metal to metal contact (remove paint) for a good ground.  Single wire ring connector goes to battery side of starter solenoid.

This is for a 1970, correct?

46 minutes ago, Midlife said:

Yes, the ring connector with the two wires goes between the VR and the apron fender.  Make sure there's metal to metal contact (remove paint) for a good ground.  Single wire ring connector goes to battery side of starter solenoid.

This is for a 1970, correct?

Thank you Midlife! No, this is 69 Mach 1 without Tachometer. Any difference?

I got new voltage regulator screw kit (two screws and one star washer), and I assume the start washer is for the ground wire (bottom screw I assume). Can Midlife or someone please confirm this? Also, what is the correct order to install these to the bottom screw of the voltage regulator starting with fender apron working out? Is it:

1. fender apron

2. star washer

3. grounding wire (two wires connected to single ring connector)

4. voltage regulator

5. radio voltage capacitor

6. Screw head

Sounds good to me.  The star washer's function is to bite into the paint to make a good electrical connection.  You could put the grounding wires between the VR and screw head like the capacitor.