Sign in to follow this  
alex

speakers in fastback package tray

I have a couple of 6.5" speakers to install in the package tray of a 69 fastback.  For those that have already done this, did you mount the speaker to the bottom of the metal frame under the the package tray or did you mount to the top of the package tray itself?

I mounted to the top of the package tray. Used the template for the speaker and cut it out. I had to cut into the metal sub frame as well. I mounted 6x9s back there and they sound great. I don't have speakers up front---still trying to work that out.

I mounted to the top of the package tray. Used the template for the speaker and cut it out. I had to cut into the metal sub frame as well. I mounted 6x9s back there and they sound great. I don't have speakers up front---still trying to work that out.

I just removed the speakers from my car and this is how they were installed

Not screwed to the metal frame but instead screwed to the fiberglass tray. The base of the speaker protrudes into the already existing speaker holes in the metal frame. What provides rigidity to the fiberglass tray to prevent the tray from moving and vibrating with the speaker?

just did this a few weeks back so the detail is fresh.

my metal tray was uncut so we used the middle opening on the metal tray and the spacer ring included with the 6x9s as the template to determine what we had to cut. Lined it up and traced the opening. Used an air cut off tool (I think a jig saw w/a metal blade would work if you could hold it down good). Once we cleaned up the holes and got the speaker to fit well, we drilled 4 small pilot holes for the speaker screws, then line up the insulation and cut out at least as wide maybe up to an inch larger diameter than the speaker opening. Completely re-mounted the metal tray, insulation, and uncut fiberglass package tray for proper alignment (this includes the metal trim cap behind the backseat to hold the tray in position). Drill straight up from the trunk through the pilot holes into the fiberglass tray itself and trace the opening from the metal tray to the back side. Take it all off again, cut the fiberglass out. I used a Roto Zip with a fiberglass bit and it worked really well and controllable. If the speaker fits flush and the screw holes all line up then hook up your wires through the openings and lay your speaker on the package tray. Screw down from the top into the pilot holes of the metal tray not too tight, barely starting to compress the insulation. Put the grills on and your done... Not the greatest picture but should be good enough

post-4294-0-87280000-1425009415.jpg