Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

New Steering Column ... Issues

Over the weekend I installed a TCP power rack and pinion with a new power steering pump (KRC) and an Ididit tilt column. I ordered all this through TCP for compatibility concerns. All went in amazingly easy until I was putting on the Grant steering wheel back on. After torquing the steering wheel down, I noticed a grinding noise while turning the wheel. The disc that has the horn contacts on it was getting scraped by the terminators on the wires that are on the turn signal cam. I believe if I had another 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch, I would be able to torque the wheel down without any issues.

Can the shaft be pulled out of the column any to get this needed clearance?

Has anyone else ran into this issue? What was the fix? Do I need to go with a rim blow wheel??? Or is there another option available?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

Would there be anything you could do to the horn terminators? It would seem to me, that if it was recessed another 1/8 inch into the column, that would also fix it? Maybe take apart the horn terminator and put shorter springs in it, and verify it does not bottom out on anything.

The horn terminators dont seem to be the problem. The other wires' eyelet connectors that are exposed that are on top of the turn signal cam seem to be what are grinding the horn contact disc. I have recessed them as much as possible and now it seems to be the little plastic guides that those wires pass between are hitting the horn contact disc.

What looks like that needs to happen is the whole turn signal cam needs to be pushed down further into the column ... is that possible?

Here are some pictures of what is going on. Is the Turn signal cam the wrong one?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/turn-signal-wiring-w-fixed-wheel-1969/p/TSW6/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/turn-signal-wiring-tilt-1968-1969/p/TSW4/

I have an Ididit Tilt Column.

I have also pulled out the signal cam and there is nto a way to recess it further into the column.