Sign in to follow this  
434josh

Door window molding question.

Hey guys/gals,

This is my first post in the forum. I have viewed many threads for the past 6 months or so.

I have a 69' coupe and have owned it since I was 14. (now 36)

It was my great grandfathers car from new and has not been driven much.

I am in the process of some minor restoration (new seat upholstery, carpet, etc) and I have run into some small issues. Some people have worked on the car over the years and things just don't quite match up and some items were even stolen right off the car in the year or two before I received the car.

My question right now is about the door window weather strip moldings.

My pass side has molding and weatherstrip on the 1/4 window and door window while the drivers side is only on the door window. I always thought the drivers side was simply missing the 1/4 window pc however I read on some other forum that the 69' should only have it on the door window and the 70' is different. I know that the pass door window was replaced because a pickup truck backed into it at a grocery store so my Great grandfather had a local auto glass place fix it. Maybe they put the other molding on?? (or someone stole the drivers side?)

Should there be moldings/weatherstrip on both the 1/4 window and door glass or just one?

See pics. Car had a vinyl roof if that helps on the trim.

Drivers side -

20140826_191821_zpsbb3f598c.jpg

pass side-

20140826_191757_zps0830772c.jpg

Thanks for any help!!

Do a search on this forum with the search words vertical window trim and you will get about 9 threads and a couple of them are coupe specific and it will explain a lot. From what I gather from reading them your drivers side is right and the passenger side is wrong . One thread says the 69 has the trim and weather strip on the rear edge of the door window and overlaps the rear 1/4 window and the 70 is opposite .

good luck dave

Thanks Dave.

Having the correct verbiage helps on forum searches.

Since my car appears to have a unique circumstance I was looking for exactly your answer that the search wasn't guaranteed to answer..That the pass door was not correct with both trim pcs. I am guessing that the glass shop put a 70 model 1/4 window in when they replaced the door glass. That is my only possible explanation.

I am about to re-glue the drivers door glass as it is loose and I wanted to be sure the trim was correct while I could still adjust the gap if needed.

Thanks a bunch.

Your welcome and welcome to the forum if you have not been welcomed yet.

I also seem to recall that the 69 1/4 window is a little bit longer than the 70, the dimension from front to back because of the trim being on the 70 1/4 window and not the door glass. So to make your car the same on both sides you will probably have to change the passenger side 1/4 window back to 69 1/4 window.

Dave