Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

Revised Front Disc Brake Pads ??

Just did front wheel bearings & seals (last serviced in the 80's) and had the rotors cut and put on a new set of pads while I was at it.

Anyway, the NEW replacement OUTER pads did not have provisions for the retainer pins.

Old ones were riveted and new ones are bonded ... otherwise the pads were physically the same just missing the holes for the retainer pins.

New ones also have the typical metal anti-squeal insert with the formed retainer ears that you see on modern disc brake pads.

They came from Carquest (part # RDP RD34) and looking on their computer screen, they still showed riveted pads with the clearance holes for the pins and the hardware kit still shows the pins and spring clips as being included (I did not buy as my hardware was still like new so don't know if they actually eliminated them from the kits as well).

Talking about it with the store owner (who is also a friend of mine), we felt the purpose of the pins & spring clips was to put tension on pad to avoid brake squeal and since they revised the pad to incorporate the new style metal anti-squeal insert the old clips & spring clips are no longer required.

Pic is of my old pads, pins, & spring clips only ... did not think of taking a comparison pic before installing new pads on car !!

You would think that there would have been some sort of NOTE included with the pads explaining the change ... typically there is some general installation instructions and it could have been mentioned in this, but there was nothing but the pads in the box. Or even a note that would pop up on Carquest's computer screen, but nothing.

Anyone else run across this ??

Doug

Are the disc brake pads for a 1969 the same as a 1970 or are they different?

Thanks!

Yes, front disc pads for '68-73 are all the same (per NPD catalog).

I'll go one step further ...

'68-73 Calipers are also all the same (also per NPD catalog)

Doug