Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

AOD passing gear issues

You all know my 70 Mach build and how I went with the AOD and Lokar setup for AOD TV and throttle. Well the car is done now but I cant get passing gear.

I took it back to the shop that rebuilt it and they tell me that the carb isn't going to full WOT and that as you approach the last 3/4" of travel there is major binding felt on the carb accelerator arm. So much so that it pulls 1/2" of the cable thru the cable stop.

I have to pickup the car tomorrow but was wondering what you guys think? I will know more once I get the car back but I am running 1406 Edelbrock with a spacer on an Edelbrock 351c Performer manifold. I was sure when I setup the throttle cable I set it at WOT with pedal on the floor.

Anyone had such a predicament with the Lokar or Edelbrock products?

Mike,

I just picked up my AOD, so at this moment I have little experience to give you.

I do have a suggestion that you may pass on to the mechanic at the shop.

Because of the problems with TV Cable adjustments on non-AOD cars, the guy who built mine Dan Gilsdorf (Silverfoxtrans.com) utilizes a Constant Pressure Valve Body which eliminates the TV function, it is only used as a kick down.

I will be using the Lokar Ford AOD Hi-Tech Kickdown Kit, the only instructions from the Dan is to take all of the slack out of it and that's all that has to be done. Maybe your shop knows about the Valve Body Constant Pressure function and can build the same for you. Take a look at Dan's website and you can read under the AOD Valve Body section (SPT-MAC constant pressure).

You might want to give him a call, he's a really nice guy and is willing to help.

Sorry I couldn't of been much help, but maybe this is something someone at the shop can do.

Edited by prayers1

Thanks Prayers. I will have to see this for myself. I argued that the AOD should go into passing gear with a sudden throttle increase (say 3/4 travel) and shouldn't have to go to full WOT. Regardless I need to investigate the throttle bind. Cant believe I have 300 miles on it now and it hasnt been going to WOT.

I got the car back today. I disconnected all cables and carb accelerator arm operates smooth with the normal resistance when it gets close to the WOT position. What is causing the binding seems to be the Lokar AOD cable.

You can hear and feel the spring binding up on the cable housing when pulled thru to the end of travel. I remember a post where someone had this same condition and they shortened the spring and cut the cable housing back at the transmission end though I am unsure whether it was here or on VMF. Anyone experienced bonding on a Lokar AOD cable near the end of the travel?

EDIT: Found it:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/660179-aod-fine-tuning-advice.html

Edited by miketyler
found link

I have heard of some issues with the Lokar stuff. That's one reason I modded the factory Ford TV cable brackets and used the factory Ford TV cable. While my car isn't on the road yet, during mockup everything seemed to be in order.

Are you running the ratio corrector on the carb throttle? Bruce