Sign in to follow this  
alex

unknown wire and component

in the attached image, there is a green wire that is attached to a connector on the top of the climate control switches. The other end, as you can see in the image is unattached. I looked through a wiring diagram but did not see a match.

Also, above the wire, there is a device with two terminals.

Anyone know what either of these unknowns are?

There are two sets of green wires with spade connectors on them. One is located near the heater control switch; another is located on the RHS near the big heater box. It doesn't matter which connector goes onto the male spade lead of each switch.

My guess is that another green wire with a black spade cover is lurking nearby your single wire, and both attache to the two terminal switch in your picture.

It's for the A/C compressor clutch. It makes it's way through several devices before it exits the firewall in a pigtail connector. It should be listed in any diagram for you car. it's in both of my books. B.

I did not find another wire in the area. I did notice that there is an unused male spade terminal on the climate control switch (see the attached image). Could this terminal hold the missing wire?

Also, I looked on the wiring diagram that is typically available on these sites and found no reference to A/C wiring. Did I miss it or is that wiring not on the diagrams?

I just went thru this. Although I assumed it was a thermostat, its referred to as a freeze switch. It has a probe that extends into the plenum case and its end is inserted between the fins in the condenser. It senses a freeze condition on the condenser and opens the circuit to the AC clutch.

It should be a NC switch and there should be two lime green wires going to it. One comes from the microswitch on the AC selector you have pictured and the other goes thru the firewall directly to the AC clutch.

Edited by miketyler