Sign in to follow this  
9RO1M

Tilt Away Steer safety switch issue

Hi all.I'm trying to sort out an issue with my tilt away steering.With the door closed the engine wont turn over but i do get the click from the solenoid when i turn the key. It also clicks when i open the door which is normal right?The engine will turn over if i disconnect the tilt steer and wire it direct.Any leads pardon the pun would be appreciated.Thanks.

The system has a safety switch that does not allow you to start the car with the wheel is tilted up. The wheel must be in the normal driving position to allow this. I bypassed this stupid system within 30 minutes of buying my car 30 years ago.

The door open or closed does not make any difference. You either have a bad switch, but more likely it is a bad wire or disconnected connector. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to look at the wires to the safety switch in it.

if you have the key in the run position, and press the button on the door jamb for the door open, you should hear the door open relay click on the tilt mechanism ( behind the key switch). The leads you are disconnecting are the ones that are the problem. Put an ohmmeter on them. It should be close to zero ohms with the tilt wheel down, and very high or infinite ohms with the tilt wheel "swung away".

Thanks danno,i will wait for a friend to bring his to test it. In the mean time i tested it with a light meter and with the key in the on position there is no power coming out those wires, is this consistent with there being a fault? Thanks

Edited by 9RO1M

Well i took of the vacuum motor today to inspect the switch and it turns out it was stuck.It has a clear pin that activates the switch when it is depressed by the vacuum plunger.I cleaned it up and manually pressed it in a few times it now works and has current flowing through it as danno says it should.Here are a couple of pics.I'll keep you updated when its it installed,fingers crossed it works.

All electrical's are now working.Next test is to see if it actually works under normal operational conditions, which may be a while as the engine isn't running yet.I might try and find a way to artificially add some vacuum. Actually my supervisor is good at sucking ass, might get him on the hose.:stuart:

Hi Kevin31,got your PM,not sure you got my reply,here are the pics you needed.the first photo is of the wire that comes from the back of the ignition switch,the second pic the wire feeds of from the main loom up behind the dash and drops down a bit to the left of the ignition switch looking up at it from under the dash,it might be hidden somewhat but it will pull down some.Also If you connect these two wires it will bypass the safety switch in the vacuum motor and engine should crank over.The tacho wire you mentioned is seperate,and from memory should be a direct wire through the fuse box..

I had to pull out the steering column because the vacuum operated locking pin seemed stuck.I f pulled down on the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock it would disengaged so I figured that the spring that releases the tilt away has to much resistence .I removed the collar and quickly spotted a not related pin that was almost all the way out,easy fix just knocked it back in,but glad I decided to inspect the internals before i hit the road.I couldn't really see how this pin could have come away on it's own so maybe somebody else has tried to service this in the past.Any way I removed the suspect spring and, I now could release the vacuum locking pin by hand.I found a new spring at West Coast Classic Cougar and they were definately different.Just waiting for it to arrive in the post along with the manual which I couldn't wait for lol.