Sign in to follow this  
indianfiremach

Thoughts on 1993 Cobra Engine / Trans?

Hi all, I'm doing a 5 speed conversion on my '70 Mach 1 as one of the few deviations from stock. I plan on going to a fair number of shows and want the benefits of the overdrive on the highway. I'm building a stock 351c with 2v heads and edelbrock performer intake. I bought a T5 for my car out of a 1990~ GT that is in good shape. I don't plan to race the car, ever.

However, I was looking online (dangerous, I know) and a guy near me is selling an engine/trans from a 1993 Cobra. 302/T5z (supposedly, I need to check the numbers). I can get the whole pull (complete minus upper intake) and trans for $1k or the trans/bell/shifter for $550. The $550 seems like a fair price for a T5z, if thats indeed what it is. The motor/trans supposedly have 81k miles on them and were removed from a wrecked car. They have been sitting for a few years, and will need cleaned up/detailed before anyone would want to use them.

So my options are:

Stick with my current T5 (weaker but already in my garage)

By trans for $550 and sell mine (would probably break even)

By engine/trans and sell engine - not sure what I could get for it but if its more than $450 I'd be in the black.

What do you guys think? I'll post up the numbers off the trans when I get them from the seller.

If the engine also includes the wiring, computer and injectors, it would be worth it. If not, then the deal isn't so great. The only real differences between a 93 Cobra and a 93 GT engine are the intake, cam (slightly larger, but not really much), heads (GT-40 vs E7), rockers (1.7 vs 1.6), injectors (24# vs 19#) and the computer (which has updated tables to use the larger injectors). The computer is highly desired since it would be calibrated for the 24# injectors and a manual transmission. Your 351C probably would make more power than the Cobra 5.0.

Just my ramblings.

Chuck

If the engine also includes the wiring, computer and injectors, it would be worth it. If not, then the deal isn't so great. The only real differences between a 93 Cobra and a 93 GT engine are the intake, cam (slightly larger, but not really much), heads (GT-40 vs E7), rockers (1.7 vs 1.6), injectors (24# vs 19#) and the computer (which has updated tables to use the larger injectors). The computer is highly desired since it would be calibrated for the 24# injectors and a manual transmission. Your 351C probably would make more power than the Cobra 5.0.

Just my ramblings.

Chuck

Thanks for the advice. I don't want the motor anyway - I would just sell it. No wiring is included. Sounds like a pass to me. If the trans checks out I may still try to pick it up. Comes with a hurst shifter as well.

Edited by indianfiremach