Sign in to follow this  
clark1969

Welding Shock Towers

Both of the shock towers on my 69 Grande had separated (due to weak/bad spot welds) and had to be pulled back into position and welded. Also there were several small stress cracks in the passenger side shock tower which needed to be welded. I understand that this is a very common problem.

How many of you guys have had similar problems? Have any of you inspected your shock towers and found no separation or stress cracks?

Welcome Clark. Since the shock towers are multiple layers, sometimes welding repairs can be difficult. Repair vs. replace depends on the extent of the damage. The damage and bad repairs on my brothers 65 was so bad, I luckily found some pristine towers which he cleaned up for replacement. Drilling the spot welds is not a fun day. Do you have decent pics of your damage?

Bob

I have had to replace the shock towers in both of my 69's. Both of them have been used hard over the years and the towers were cracked, seams separated, and the one that saw the most drag strip time, the towers were so out of shape, the upper control arms had to be shimmed almost 1/2" on the front of both control arms just to get the alignment close. Replacing them isn't that bad but there are a lot of spot welds to drill out. Export braces and Monte Carlo bars help, but the design of the unibody buts a lot of stress on the towers.