Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

DIN radio bezel question

Starting to think about a stereo for my Mustang (something to listen to besides the engine). Looks like all of the units that fit my wants are single DIN. CJ has a DIN bezel for the princely sum of $105. Are there any les expen$ive alternatives? Why not just get a standard bezel for $28 & cut it myself? Anyone already been there/done that?

When I bought my car, the previous owner just cut the original. Worked out ok.. However, with both bezels, the radio is held in place by the bezel.. It is not really supported very well, although it seemed to work alright. Perhaps this was just the way the guy cut mine, I don't know.

I have the bezel you listed from CJ Pony Parts.. But I haven't put a radio in it, I put a 3 gauge pod instead.

I seen a bracket for sale to support the radio, http://www.cjponyparts.com/radio-support-bracket-1969-1970/p/RSB/

I thought for sure it said it was for DIN but after looking it up again I think it might be fore the stock radio.

Oh, I hadn't thought about the metal bracket. Don't know yet if I need that. What I was talking about is the plastic bezel. The CJ link is

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ken-harrison-radio-bezel-aftermarket-single-din-1969-1970/p/RB-V/

Just trying to find a way to save a few buck$ on my never ending project. :whistling:

I cut a repro bezel to fit. I had some more pictures of the process but imageshack lost them. Anyway, what I did was cut the opening wide enough for the din and filled the gaps top and bottom with some black plastic. I had to mill the sides of the bezel a little to squeeze the head unit through. The cage will not fit through at all so I cut the front of the cage at an angle to match the back of the bezel. With everything assembled its nice and tight.

dscf0006bw.jpg

dscf0007ch.jpg

I used a stock repro bezel after mine got broken during a car break-in. I replaced my stolen stereo with a single DIN one. I found the metal mounting cage for my stereo was the same width as my bracket and wouldn’t allow me to trim enough off and still maintain structural integrity. I ended up trimming to the edge and then heating the plastic with a heating gun enough to allow it to flex enough to fit the cage. You have to be careful to not crack the foil coating on the outside of the plastic; mine cracked some, but you can’t see it after it’s mounted. Otherwise it fit fine and mounted perfect. Another problem that surfaced, after the fact, were the two trim pieces on either side of the bezel. The larger mounting box for the DIN receiver contacted the trim tabs that fit behind the stereo bezel. You can either trim them down (like I did) or cut them off entirely. Either way they will stay in place by the lower retaining screw. The end result looks fine and functions perfectly.