Sign in to follow this  
Arvidsson

Idle mixture adjustment!

Once again I'm all ears to the experts on this forum!

So, here's the deal.

Imported this nice 69 sports roof around Christmas.

At first the engine hesitated when a I hit the pedal, so I adjusted the floats.. Great success! So I thought I would set the idle mixture as well so I know what I've what adjustments I have!

Connected my vacuum gauge at started the adjustments according to Holley's instructions.

All I get is 15-16inHg @ 1.5 turns out from closed position. Slightly irrattic (not much 0.5 inHg approx.)

Idle is fine, maybe a bit high, 800-900rpm.

Engine set up:

351W 4bbl

Holley 8045-7s (electric choke)

Holley Dominator intake

Heads, cams..haven't idea. Tried to research from the dealer I bought from and the owner before that with no luck.

So.. My question is, is that an ok vacuum reading? I'm thinking there might be a mild cam in it too...

Adjust screws for the highest vacuum...around 1.5 turns out...it would be better with a wide band in the exhaust...you could really tune it well...there is alot to do to tune a holley for idle performance and fuel economy..but it can be done ...to answer your question...vacuum sounds fine but alot of factors decide what it will pull at idle..every engine is different..i have a 427w with a solid roller and get 12 hg on it at idle..

Edited by 1969vert

Yes, your vacuum level is fine. As long as your power brakes are working just fine at low speeds. I didn't catch it but what transmission do you have? Your idle speed may be a little high but as long as the engine shuts off just fine and you aren't chirping the tires when you select drive you can live with it. Have you tried lowering your idle speed any? B.

Thanks for the inputs guys!!

I´ve got the 4 speed top loader so no auto. Well the engine does a little bit of dieseling from time to time. but not when I have had it on idle for a short while before shutting it off. So I´m thinking lowering the idle might help.

Guess the adjustments are just fine, just me thinking I should have better vacuum.