Sign in to follow this  
69shelbycoupe

block plate difference

Is there a difference in the block plates for the starter? What I mean is the hole in the block plate...does it differ in size for an automatic and manual trans? I wouldn't think that it would and they should be interchangable. I have a toploader in my car and I've bought two manual trans starters and both are about 1/16 to 1/8" to big to fit in the hole of the block plate. I'm wondering if I have the wrong block plate. I don't see how because the starter fits from 65-70. I'm thinking about die grinding the hole just a bit to fit the starter. I don't know what else to do.

Smaller starter body but but the nose that goes into the bell is the same I think. You may need the mini high torque starter to fit into the bell, I just went through this with a C-4 Cleveland combo the large body starter would not go into the bell without bending the lip of the oil pan and even that still caused problems, I went with the mini starter and problem solved.