Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

1970 Mach lower rocker moldings are aluminum

Several people told me these were pot metal cast and could not be polished. well i just didnt agree so. I went ahead and bought two used beat up rocker moldings and they got here today off ebay. I scotch brite the metal and polished to a high lustre in minutes and they shine amazing like a piece of billet aluminum.

Why hasnt anyone polished these, annodized or even brushed these moldings after all these years? I think its just cool that all of these finishes can be done instead of the plain jane gray paint.

Im planning on having mine polished , brushed and charcoal tinted clear coated to match my new wheels

Centers.

Yes, looks like they must be made of a pretty good grade of aluminum to polish up that nice. I wonder if they will all polish up like that?

I ran into same issue on my Cuda. The cast polished "Mopar Perfromance"valve covers were available but not the matching air cleaner. It was only available in black wrinkle finish. WTH? I did like you did and bought a used cast air clenaer lid someone was selling off eBay. I stripped it and started polishing only to find that it would not polish up to a fine microfiinsh like the valve covers. I was dead set on having them match and ended up having it vacuum metallized and it now looks like very much like the valve covers.

Back to your observation on the rockers, I cant say I have ever seen them chromed or polished maybe because no one thinks chrome or polished rockers would look that great. One thing is for sure; if you polish, brush, and clear coat with tinted charcoal you will have a lot of labor in those. Why not just get paint mixed to match your wheels and spray them that color? Got pics of said wheels?

Edited by miketyler