Sign in to follow this  
etel64

How to identify a 8" Posi Chunk

On an 8" you can get to all the mounting bolts with a socket on the outer edge that bolts to the housing. A 9" the lower left you can't, not sure what you mean about turning the yoke will spin both outer?

If you turn the yoke it will spin both axels, if posi it will turn them both in the same direction, if non-posi it will turn the axels in opposite directions.

Thanks, Reason I am asking is I am plannig on doing the swap meet this weekend and am hoping to just find the posi center chunk. I really dont need the entire rear as my housing is done and installed. The yoke being the part the drive shaft connects to. So the plan is to measure the ring gear and make sure its 8" right? and then make sure the axle bearing gears turn in the same direction ?

You know what we sometimes deal with out there. folks who where told this and that and never confirm the parts. hell, even some parts house guy dont have a clue.

On an 8" you can get to all the mounting bolts with a socket on the outer edge that bolts to the housing. A 9" the lower left you can't, not sure what you mean about turning the yoke will spin both outer?

If you turn the yoke it will spin both axels, if posi it will turn them both in the same direction, if non-posi it will turn the axels in opposite directions.

if you turn the yoke both wheels should turn in the same direction no matter what. if you are able to put an axle in one side and turn, the other side will turn opposite if its a non trac lock.

if you turn the yoke both wheels should turn in the same direction no matter what. if you are able to put an axle in one side and turn, the other side will turn opposite if its a non trac lock.

With no load on the wheels an open rear will turn in opposite directions as stated by 02Lightning.

EDIT: Re-read post by ramair. Sorry, I missed the detail about turning from the yoke versus from a wheel. Although I haven't checked it myself, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by 69gmachine
my bad

Thanks, Reason I am asking is I am plannig on doing the swap meet this weekend and am hoping to just find the posi center chunk. I really dont need the entire rear as my housing is done and installed. The yoke being the part the drive shaft connects to. So the plan is to measure the ring gear and make sure its 8" right? and then make sure the axle bearing gears turn in the same direction ?

You know what we sometimes deal with out there. folks who where told this and that and never confirm the parts. hell, even some parts house guy dont have a clue.

I think I would take a gasket with me to lay on the center section your buying as quick check if I wasn't sure of the difference. Make sure it fits on your housing before you leave.

Another way you can make sure it's a posi is in an open rear you can see the spider gears. On a posi it will will have a clutch pack in the center.

Edited by 02Lightning