Sign in to follow this  
Burn

engine swap question

Hi Guys,

I'll be swapping out my 351w for a 351c in a few weeks. I know it's recommended to remove the hood first, but can it be done with the hood on? I'm also swapping the Close-ratio with a Wide-ratio 4-speed and want to pull and drop engine w/tranny attached. Any advice?

Also, will jacking up the rear of the car help any with the swap? If so, how high should I raise it?

Thanks.

Jim

Removing the hood is really easy. Just four bolts and it's off. It's awkward to hold, so a second set of hands is a must. We had both hoods off to allow for maximum clearance.

When I pulled the engine from my 94 GT donor, we jacked up the back as high as we could. That helped get the engine and trans out as one. We were able to drop both in together without lifting the back of the 69, but it is already on ramps and jack stands.

Good luck!

Chuck

Even with the 94's rear end jacked up, we still used a wheel dolly to allow the tail of the transmission to have something to roll on. We had three people (myself, my brother and my father) doing the work, so that helped a lot. When we dropped the new combo in, my brother was underneath the 69 guiding the transmission, I was pushing on the hoist and my father was helping to guide the engine from the top. I've heard of people doing all three jobs by themselves, though.

Interested to know why you are changing from Windsor to Clevo (apart for the fact it is correct for the car)

Do you need to change mounts etc?

The transmission and engine mounts are the same. The Cleveland isn't correct for my car (F-code), but Its a M-Code clone so it will need a Cleveland and Cleveland's Rock. My bother had one in a '71 Torino and that thing was awesome.

Yea. I’m one of those guys’ pulled the aluminum headed Windsor monster out to drop in a warmed up Cleveland with more build potential in. PITA to do by yourself. Engine mounts are all the same but be sure to check on the clutch linkage. I went to a hydraulic clutch because I put in the T56 six speed. The linkage was always a pain to get around my headers and I’m sure it’s going to be different for the 2 motors. If you are going to be doing the work of swaping motors why NOT remove the hood( beats a new paint job and stitches on the back of your head) also pull the radiator. And you can clean everything up when the bay is empty. I put the engine in before I started re plumbing my brake lines for roll control and adj. proportioning valve DOUGH.

If you are worried about getting the hood re-aligned it's easy. Before you remove the hood use masking tape to mark the edges of the hinge mounting plate at the hood. When you re-install the hood use the masking tape edges as your guide and tighten down. B