Sign in to follow this  
69droptopgt

early 428 block with x scratch cast

I picked up a C6ME block yesterday and would like some Info. It is a 428 block identified by the 428 in water jacket. Also has the 1u crank. Engine is all apart but standard bore right now. It is a 5J14 date code giving it build date of sept 15 1965. WHat is weird is that it has a x scratch mark on back of block. I have heard that the x cast in is usually for the Service Replacement blocks but everything I read says that this happened late in the end of all the 428 runs (68 or later). I found this out today reading other sites. ANyone have in info why this would be here? Have heard at one point that ford would do this on expairimental block but did not know if anyone had seen this. Plus friend that sold this to me said it was rumored that this block was supposed to be destroyed but he did know know if this was true also. Dont worry did not pay too much for this but wanted to know any info that anyone may know.

I'll post some tomorrow. What exactly should I take of the side of the block? Is there anything I should be looking for in particular to take a picture of? I was thinking it was a service replacement but stuff I am reading said it was later in run.

Okay, I'll take a stab at it. In the second pic just below the pan rail toward the front of the block what is that attached to the side? The petcock on the side in the third pic can be added by anyone of course, but they are rare in the automotive world. Also, is there a partial VIN stamped into either pad at the back of the block just below the deck surfaces?

Okay, based on my experience as a mechanic in a small farming town I'm betting this block was used in agriculture. Possibly in an orchard sprayer or a river pump to pull up water to irrigate crops or orchards. I have seen FE's used in these applications on many occasions. And 428's were popular because of their rude torque. As long as it is sound it should give you many years of great service. B

Well it is definitely a 428. The only FE-series motors that received the displacement stamping in the water jackets was the 428. Given the build date, I don't think it is a service replacement block. I talked to an old timer who worked at one of the Ford engine plants back in the 60's who had a ton of 428 parts. As I recall, he told me that the X scratched on the back of a 428 block meant it had been cast with high nickel content iron. I believe for it to have been an industrial block (or destined for that from the factory anyways) that it would have had a CX scratched in the back of the block.

The C6ME-A blocks should be only mechanical lifters blocks (there are no oil galleries for hydraulic lifters). I also seem to recall that some had oil galleries for hydraulic lifters, but I think that was specific to post 67 PI blocks.

If the block is stood on its nose, there should be two threaded ports over the camshaft bore opening. No threaded ports should mean mechanical lifters only.

I will say this about FE motors, they are one of the craziest series of motors I have ever encountered. There is a ton of information out there and everything is specialized. I have also found that pretty much any guy with a torn down FE series motor thinks that it is something special. I have heard a lot of tall tales over the years as I have searched for parts for my SCJ.

I will say this about FE motors, they are one of the craziest series of motors I have ever encountered. There is a ton of information out there and everything is specialized. I have also found that pretty much any guy with a torn down FE series motor thinks that it is something special. I have heard a lot of tall tales over the years as I have searched for parts for my SCJ.

You got that right. Nobody ever wants to learn they are the proud owner of one of the million 390s out there.

Speaking of industrial use, a friend of mine has an old Hemi that says Chrysler Industrial on the valve covers, and it was used to power a ski lift for about 40 years.

Speaking of industrial use, a friend of mine has an old Hemi that says Chrysler Industrial on the valve covers, and it was used to power a ski lift for about 40 years.

Now that would be cool to see in a Mopar of some sort! I love that unique stuff like those Chrysler Industrial valve covers. I bet they were no big deal back in the day, but I bet they are hard to find these days.

How cool is this!?

ever-seen-an-industrial-hemi-now-you-have-wouldnt-thos.jpg

I have seen the suggestion that the x was for high nickel but have seen other post that said this was not true. I kinda would be surprised that this would be a agricultural motor b/c 66 was first year for consumer 428. It is kinda wierd with that petcock on it. Was just wondering what people have heard rumors or otherwise lol. It really does not matter what the deal is but just trying to find some history out about it.

I believe there should be a set of identical threaded holes that go nowhere on both sides of the block where that petcock is threaded into. I think those were the holes that were used by the foundry to secure the block for whatever they were doing. Does the hole where the petcock is in actually go through to the block?

I had also heard that the X was not a high nickel content and that it was just an identifying mark for the foundry. Ford wasn't really too standardized back in the day so it could mean any number of different things unfortunately.

The petcock holes go through to the water jacket for servicing the cooling system. I almost always see them used in ag applications where the farmer can fully drain the engine block to prevent freeze damage the winter. I very rarely see them used in automotive passenger cars and you will sometimes see them in full sized truck applications but again usually by farmers.

The two threaded holes on each side of the block skirt just above the oil pan rails are tapped, but do not penetrate through. B