Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Making my car lighter

Thinking about redoing my car this winter with some new body panels. Does any one have Maier fibreglass on their cars? Anvil is the other choice if I wait and save some more.

Hood first maybe a cowl if I get the Anvil pieces. Is Carbon Fibre really that much lighter then Fibreglass?

Trunk lid is also on the wish list. Since my car is a '70 will the Shelby endcaps that go with the tunklid fit my car? Thinking they only fit the curved tailight panel off the '69?

I have a lightweight thread I started, somewhere around here.

CF is stronger than fiberglass, as well as a little lighter; and obviously cf is more money than fg.

I'd definitely do front end stuff first, since the car is front heavy as it sits. As much as I LOVE carbon fiber, I'm 99% sure I'll be going with fiberglass for everything, for the stang. I'd love yo have cf, but it's so much more for this car than other cars I've had. Whereas the fg is more common, relatively inexpensive and can replace more stuff with it.

If you're going to go as far as change the seats out, NRG has cf racing seats that weight 10 lbs each.

I had an M3 and just about everything exterior was cf; expensive, but got that 3400 lb car down to 2980 lbs.

I'm pretty syre the trunk endcaps are to replace the stock ones to give that trunk an OEM trunk spoiler look.

Be leary of the quality of the Maier trunk lid/end caps. Several of us have had severe fitment issues with them. I can't speak about any of their other fiberglass products though.

Just my 0.02