Sign in to follow this  
Keecho

FE Zbar Setup help, what goes where

Does anyone know if a spacer goes inbetween the zbar bracket and the block? Or does the bracket bolt directly to side of block? Anyone have any pics?

Also on frame side mount, there are 3 holes on the frame, and 2 holes on the bracket, which 2 out of 3 do i use? Ones closest twards firewall or out towards front of car?

Thanks, diagram or picture would also help.

Jack

After going through having to fix the slopped together rigged setup the previous owner of my Mach had done, I know quite a bit about the setup.

On the block side, it is a bracket that bolts directly to the block. It is a really tight fit to get your hands up there and get it on. The bracket looks like this...08-02.JPG

As for the frame side mount, FE cars use the back two of the 3 holes. If you feel around down there, you'll notice that the the 2 holes towards the front end of the car are threaded, and the back hole is not. Small blocks use the front 2 threaded holes. The FE's use the middle threaded hole and the non-threaded back hole. The parts books show that the power steering rivet nuts should fit in that hole (they look like this..F1615.jpg

) but I was never able to get them to fit. I ended up using a collared nut similar to the nuts that hold the seats in.

It is a pain to get this setup put up there, especially if you have a PS car and are running the Virginia Mustangs 2 1/2" exhaust like I am. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Thanks man,

helped me a lot.

everything worked except for that rivet nut :( found a small hole under car in between torq box and frame I was able to squeeze in a nut and washer underside that 3rd hole bolt with a 1/4 in 18" extension on a 5/16 stainless bolt, figured maybe it will last longer and I wont ever have to go back in there. don't ask me how. like you said what a pain. I do have power steering, my hands are finally starting to heal up.

but worked out and im happy.

Jack

I was able to us a proper crush nut in my frame, not sure what was wrong when you guys tried it? Before I found the crush nut I too had a nut and bolt setup and know exactly what your saying about being a pain!

I was able to us a proper crush nut in my frame, not sure what was wrong when you guys tried it? Before I found the crush nut I too had a nut and bolt setup and know exactly what your saying about being a pain!

My car is a non-original 428 car so I'm wondering if maybe that's why? It wasn't off by much, but I discovered the issue after the motor, trans, brakes and wiring were already in so I wasn't able to get in and file it down to make the crush nut fit. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that anything you try to work on with a FE is a pain!

My car is not an original FE car either and now that you mention it I did have to use a file. Yes anything on an FE is a major pain. There is no room for anything short of a piece of paper in many spots. I did have the trans out when I put that nut in also.

Save it for next time! lol The filing I did was very minimal, just to clean the paint and dirt off the sides to get the nut to drop in.

Usually there is a small gap in the subframe where you can fish a nut onto the bolt from the bottom. It takes a steady hand, but I have done a few that way when I didn't have a way to get the crush nut in

Certainly the crush nut is a cleaner way to do it though.