Sign in to follow this  
02Lightning

Problems with pop open gas cap.

I have a repo flip open gas cap that I bought maybe 12 years ago (this is just like the original with no extra cap) and it doesn't seem to want to stay latched. I messed with it for an hour and a half tonight trying to shim this or that and I'm about to the end of my rope. If I loosen the two screws for the hinge that are close together I can get it to work pretty good. Has anyone ran across this problem? I'm about to just buy a new one and say heck with it, but I'm afraid I will have the same problem with a new one.

Should a 69 pop open have a spring at the hinge? My repo does but my original does not, I just figured someone took it off.

I have the same problem and I bought mine 3 years ago. I have not really messed with it yet but it really bothers me and I will try to come up with a fix for it. I don't think a new cap will solve the problem. If I just grab the side of the cap and give a slight tug it will come open without even flipping the lever. I hope someone will respond with a fix..

I put some wire in next to the hinge pin for the lever and it's working better now, not great but better. Does the original pop open caps have a spring at the bottom hinge? My original one doesn't and my repo does. I just figured someone took it out but maybe not?

I put some wire in next to the hinge pin for the lever and it's working better now, not great but better. Does the original pop open caps have a spring at the bottom hinge? My original one doesn't and my repo does. I just figured someone took it out but maybe not?

wire in the hinge pin?

I bought a repop gas cap and it would not stay latched. It appeared to me that when it closed forks on the cap would not grasp the lip on the main body well enough to stay closed and if you hit it just right it would pop open. I took a dremel tool with a flat blade and ground down the inside lip on the cap to make the lip deeper and straighter (it did have more of a smooth curve). It now stays closed and it has not popped open since. Dont know if this is the same fix for yours but It worked for me.

All the new repops come with a seperate twist gas cap and you just dont put in the "guts" of the pop open style. They put in the new cap to meet new standards because the old style did not always make a complete seal. so you can have the old style look but with the assurance of a twist on cap. To me If I am going throught he trouble of have a flip open gas cap then I will make it the real deal.

My 2Cents

Mine did the same, but i fixed it. What happens is that the rubber seal on the inside gets to compressed and leaves the latch loose. If you use a thicker piece of rubber on the latch side of the door, your problem will go away and wont come back anytime soon. Worked for me, i just cut a piece of rubber to keep pressure on the latch, sorta like a large oring but flat. Also makes a better seal for leaks. Ill try to post a pic when i get home..

Jack

Mine did the same, but i fixed it. What happens is that the rubber seal on the inside gets to compressed and leaves the latch loose. If you use a thicker piece of rubber on the latch side of the door, your problem will go away and wont come back anytime soon. Worked for me, i just cut a piece of rubber to keep pressure on the latch, sorta like a large oring but flat. Also makes a better seal for leaks. Ill try to post a pic when i get home..

Jack

I did this a couple years ago, I think the one that came with it was cork or something. Is yours an orginal cap or repo?