Sign in to follow this  
kenbrackins

UCA bushing replacement issues-advice pls

I am having difficulty intalling new shaft/bushings. I have cut the spacer that is recommended in manual (however it called for a 6 15/16" for pre 1971 and 8 1/8" after 71 but mine is clearly 8 1/8??) anyway the threads are nice and clean on the UCA. I can hand tighten and uncrew both caps no problem. They screw onto the shaft no problem. I center the shaft and when I try to tighten each, they get extremely tight before caps are all the way in and the shaft won't rotate. I can put one side in no problem but not the other. I can turn each side a little at a time and it gets too tight again. Also seems to pull the shaft out of center while tightening. Seems like the arm is either too wide or too narrow so its binding at the threads on the shaft. Anyone have a solution? Thanks very much. Hot and frustrated. Mosquitos the size of bats eating me up!

p.s. I don't have zerks intalled so its not compressing grease. I have also searched forum without success before posting.

I have never been able to replace those bushings. The difficulty is the thread pitch on the shaft and in the control arm are different. So, when I have tried the control arm gets damaged. I don't know anybody in my area that replaces those bushings. Most everybody replaces the complete upper control arm assembly. Maybe somebody here knows a method to replace these bushings.

Good Luck

Common problem on the cheap kits is that the thread isnt quite right. Buy a US kit like MOOG.

Also, there is not suppose to be threads on the arm sleeves. The big nuts can cut or damage the thread during original installation or due to worn rubber bushings and movement.