Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Total Seal piston rings

I don't have them in my current engine but wished I did. They make a big difference in the amount of blow by past the rings, and I think large bore engines are a lot more likely to have that problem. The result is pressure builds up in the crankcase faster than the PCV can evacuate. It blows seals and causes leaks.

Although my engine isn't a particularly large bore, I've had to have it re-honed twice to clean up surface rust from blown headgaskets. Now my bores are closer to 4.034 and the blow by causes oil to leak out of the rear main seal as well as out the oil cap and PCV grommet. I hate the idea of pulling a perfectly good working engine but eventually when I do I will put in Total Seal rings for my cheap fix.

sportsroof69 - I'm thinking TSS Street rings. I don't think the TS1 rings are necessary for my engine but I solicit comments. I don't have any experience with their products. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Actually they are about 2 miles from my work. Maybe I'll go visit them.

btw - I watched your video. You really hooked well. What gear ratio are you using?

The TSS are good rings too. I did use the TS1s in mine, but I wanted it sealed tight because I spray it.

When it was originally built, it had perfect circle plasma moly rings in it, which is what was in it in that video. Long story, but I rebuilt the shortblock, and used the TS1 rings. I haven't got to run it with the new rings, but it feels really strong. It keeps the plugs a lot cleaner, idling around town too. The biggest difference is spinning the engine by hand. It was somewhat easy with the old setup, but it's freakng hard to turn it over with the new setup. Noticeably, a lot harder.

In that video, it had 3.70s.

I visited Total Seal today. They are a few blocks from my work. Talked with Keith Jones. He was very helpful and has actually built a number of 428's in the past. We ended up talking in his office for almost 45 minutes. Bottom line is I'm going with the TSS rings. He talked me out of my idea of ceramic coatings for the combustion chambers, valves & exhaust ports. The money I save there is going toward a half day of engine dyno time at a nearby shop. That should be very productive.:thumbup1: