Sign in to follow this  
MANTECH

Fiero seats vs 93 fox body gt seats

I'm not happy with the seating position in the our Mach 1. I'm about 6'1" and my wife's 5'11". Doing a quick google search, it looks like many have used both fiero seats and mustang gt seats (90-93). I have no plans to modify my floor pans or seat risers. I've seen the fiero seats with mach 1 upholstery and I know TMI makes mach 1 upholstery for the newer GT seats. Is the GT seat the same height of the fiero seat, or is the fiero seat that much lower? I know they both recline, but which one fits in the car nicer? My biggest beef with the stock seat is that they seem more up right than usual. Are there any tricks to make the stock seat recline without butchering the seat frame? My seats are mint, so I'd prefer to put them in storage and get a new set. I've found fiero and mustang seats for around the same price.

Yes there is a simple fix to recline your seats. Lean the seat forward and look down at the back of the seat base. On the right and left of the seat are the bump stops, for lack of a better term, and there is only one screw each. Take them off, and shave them down on a grinding wheel, I pressed them against the sides of the wheel. Be careful, I slipped and took off a big chunk of my finger tip! Anyways, just test fit them after you take off some of the material until you get the angle you want. Easy peasy! You could also use any kind of sander I suppose.

Mantech, I put a set of '87 T-bird turbo seats which I believe are the same as the later model GT seats in my '70. I did lower the seat pans about 3/4" to get a little bit more room. I am about 6' and feel real comfortable with these seats. They are fully reclineable and allow me to get my head/eyes at a desired height. If yor are a NSRA member, they did an article on my car in the latest issur of Street Sceen on pg. 132. They have better pics than I do. If not a member, here's a pic.

p5220024.jpg