Sign in to follow this  
allenc63

1969 250cid swap to 84 302 efi.... info?

Hey everybody.... I have a 69 coupe that was a barn find. It has a 250 with 26k original miles. I have a donor car with a 302 efi motor. Mostly what I need help with is wiring. Since I have the donor car and its complete and running, am I right in thinking I can use the computer and wiring harness strait out of the donor? Also, Is there an adapter to hook the wiring harness from the donor to my 69? Kinda confused here. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

is the efi a later model add on or is it the throttle body type that came on the crown vics, lincoln's etc? if it a later multi port add on, you can buy an aftermarket harness to use in an older vehicle. not sure if anything is available for the throttle body type.

My recommendation, if you really want to use that setup, is buy the factory service manuals for both the 69 Mustang and the 84 Crown Vic. You will probably be splicing wires.

Personally, I'd drop the TBI and put a carb on top. Cut your wiring to near nothing. I don't know exactly what the 84 CV engine was rated at, but it's probably low, like 150hp. Your original 250 straight 6 is pushing that (maybe more).

Just my ramblings,

M/C

Marginally. Your problems reside in the pistons and heads. Low compression and small ports. Ford's engines were not performance based in the early and mid-80s. They were just trying to survive emissions and mileage requirements.

And, if I recall, the TBI intake was really just a 2 barrel carb intake. All of the electronics were in the throttle body and a computer. The distributor may be useable as is, if it is a Duraspark II setup.

How much performance you can get out of that engine depends entirely on how much wallet you have. Rebuilding with a new rotating assembly, heads, cam and intake would get you there, but that's a lot of money. You can get crate engines for about what the parts and machine work would cost.

Again, just my thoughts. Hate to sound negative, but I believe you can do a lot with your I-6 to pick its performance up rather than investing a lot into an old 302 to get there. If you can do a lot of the work yourself, that would help.

M/C