Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Calipers - Disassemble for Powdercoating

I am going to send my Front(used)and Rear(new) Duel Piston calipers off to Powdercoating on Friday. Do I need to remove the pistons? If I do is there a trick/tool to use that will make it easy to take apart. Thanks in advance. Bill

a little compressed air should push them out enough to get them to the point you can pull them out by hand. place a piece of wood in the space where the rotor goes & start lightly with the air. you dont want to create a "missle" with a shot from 175lbs, lol!

X 10 on the wood block. You will understand and remember this when the first piston comes out; cause it will sound like a gunshot. I would ask the powder guy how he wants them. To powder they would remove them prior to baking. But he might use them as plugs during sandblasting/powdering but remove PRIOR to baking. (thats how I do mine; cause its hard to mask off the bore/bores.) Depends on the powder coater; some might want you to remove the piston/seals. You might want to replace the seals on the front as they are cheap; and brake fluid will f*** up powder/paint/etc.

you know, if you want to pop the pistons without the explosive force of air (and don't mind some cleanup), I got a cheap tube of grease for my grease gun, and threaded the grease gun into the brake fluid inlet (threads happened to match). Couple dozen pumps of the gun, and the piston comes out nice and slow.

Of course, then you've got a big ole glop of grease to clean out/throw away. It's more gentle, but takes longer and needs some cleanup. Easy to do though.

I'd really recommend replacing all the rubber - it's like $5 or something....

Jay