Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

Torque specs on pressure plate bolts

Does anyone know the proper torque specs for pressure plated to fly wheel bolts on a 351W?

We went to put my pressure plate on tonight and broke what I think was a factory bolt off in the flywheel. None of our books have the torque specs in it so my Dad googled it and came up with 35 ft. lbs but that must be wrong or we had some weak bolts.

Thanks,

Drew

351W Torque Spec.

Fastener Type Torque Spec

Main cap bolts 95-105 ft-lbs

Connecting rod bolts 40-45 ft-lbs.

Cylinder head bolts 90-100 ft-lbs.

Rocker arms 17-23 ft-lbs.

Intake manifold bolts 23-25 ft-lbs.

Oil pump bolts 23-28 ft-lbs.

Cam bolts 40-45 ft-lbs.

Cam thrust plate bolts 8-10 ft-lbs.

Harmonic damper bolt 70-90 ft-lbs.

Flywheel / flex-plate bolts 75-85 ft-lbs.

Pressure plate bolts 35 ft-lbs.

Front cover bolts 12-15 ft-lbs.

http://www.mainemustang.com/mustang-info/ford-engine-bolt-torque-chart

Ooops I miss-read your post. Yes 35lbs is correct....Sorry!!!!!

I would say your bolts had been stretched previously. I just bolted up my pressure plate with new ARP bolts to 35lbs without a prob.

Edited by Lemon Owner

Ooops I miss-read your post. Yes 35lbs is correct....Sorry!!!!!

I would say your bolts had been stretched previously. I just bolted up my pressure plate with new ARP bolts to 35lbs without a prob.

Yeah that's what I was thinking also. They were marked grade 5 and looked just like factory pressure plate bolts. Oh well I ordered some ARP's this morning.

Yeah that's what I was thinking also. They were marked grade 5 and looked just like factory pressure plate bolts. Oh well I ordered some ARP's this morning.

The ARP's are pretty inexpensive so they are not too bad on the hip pocket. Just sucks that a simple job of bolting on the clutch became such an epic adventure. Gotta love cars. :death:

I was removing the door from my falcon and one of the bolts snapped like nothing. I tried heat and welding another bolt to it but to no avail. Now I probably have to remove the dash to get in behind to remove the bolt plate to fix it. Such a simple task turned to hell. I feel your pain.

The ARP's are pretty inexpensive so they are not too bad on the hip pocket. Just sucks that a simple job of bolting on the clutch became such an epic adventure. Gotta love cars. :death:

I was removing the door from my falcon and one of the bolts snapped like nothing. I tried heat and welding another bolt to it but to no avail. Now I probably have to remove the dash to get in behind to remove the bolt plate to fix it. Such a simple task turned to hell. I feel your pain.

Yep I have learned that when working with car and other junk to always expect the unexpected. It's always the little things that take forever! I've had the same problems with projects in the past.