Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

Best headers for 408w

Hey guys,

I seem to be having a hard time finding a set of headers to run on my 69.

I am about to put my engine and trans into the car and I am looking for a set of good flowing headers. I currently have a set of hedman that have 1 5/8 primarys and 3 inch collectors. I don't think they are going to be big enough for my application. I am running a top loader 4 speed behind my 408w so I need something that my z-bar will clear.

So far this is all that I have found. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-6208HKR/

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I know that I cannot be the only person out there that has ran into this problem.

Thanks,

Drew

I would think 1 5/8" headers would flow just fine for your motor. I used to run the same size headers on Fox Mustangs, running a Vortech supercharger, deep into the 10s in the quarter mile.

I'm also getting a set of 1 5/8" mid-lenghts for my 408w.

Well that's good to hear! I wasn't sure if they would work with a manual. What type of massaging did you have to do? (by the way you have got a badass 69!)

Thanks!

I had to dimple the tube the runs outside the Z bar, but I later figured out that someone had bent my old Z bar, so in the end, it may have not been necessary. They were rubbing the bolt that holds the idler arm bracket onto the passenger side frame rail. The bolt is installed from outside the frame rail, with the nut in the engine bay side, so all I did was flip the bolt around and install it from the inside, and it cleared.

Personally, I'd stick with the 1 3/4". I wish someone made a 1 7/8", because that's what I'd get. Everyone knows that an engine is a pump, and your increased displacement will pump more air, therefore you'll benefit from a larger header to get the air out.

Edited by sportsroof69