Sign in to follow this  
Gnats

steering wheel repair

I started repairing my steering wheel a while back, thought some might like to see a couple pictures. It had one bad crack in the rim and the plastic under the pad was missing a couple ears. I have a total of $100 into this wheel so far. The rim blow switch will cost that much alone.

I also picked up a 1970 gas tank for $50, NIB on CL today. Slow but steady progress.

Nat

Ck out RimBlow Buddys website. He has the rim blow switch for $75. I plan to restore my wheel as well. I used structural epoxy to bond two cracks. I had two basecoat colors mixed to match the wood grain on the dash panels. I plan to try my hand at woodgraining and then clearing it. The only issue I see immediately is that the groove for the chrome pin stripe is deeper than I would like. Originals were flush right? Or was the chrome trim recessed below the surface?

I'm not sure how the switch fits in the groove? Mine was absent when I found the wheel. I'll try my hand at woodgraining as well. I made my crack repair with an old two spoke mustang wheel I had kicking around. I welded the plastic into the groove, filed it down to what you see. I'm hoping that by using the same type of plastic, I'll avoid future cracks. Good info on the switch, thanks.

Nat