Sign in to follow this  
swhite832

Options on new suspension

Hello all,

I have a 69 convertible. I broke a shock tower on the drivers side after locking up the brakes to avoid a deer. It is broke due to rust and a halfa-- repair from the prior owner. I have to replace it.

I have decided to pull the engine and replace any and all bad areas in the engine compartment, and if im going to that extreme I would probably replace the other shock tower as well.

I had plans to to put a rack and pinion set up on this car. Now that I have to cut out shock towers Im leaning towards a Mustang II IFS from Heidts or RC motorsports. The cost would be more with the same labor but it would seem I would be getting a much better return. The job seems fairly straight forward and I have the skills/tools to make it happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I herd Heidts is really good, but some ppl dislike the mustang II suspension.

ppl tend to go with TCP kit

I for one might go with the AJE engineering suspension but they're are so many kits available now it all depends on how big your pocket book is.

The TCP kit bolts up to the original shock towers(if I read it right). I wonder if that is why they "tend" to be more preferred. At least one of my shock towers has to be replaced, if not both. I believe the labor will be the same, whether I put in new shock towers or replace with panels.

I guess my question in the end is; Which one will be more reliable and perform better after installation.

I just installed a Mustang II IFS in my 69 FB havent gotten it on the road yet so I cant say anything for the ride. But as far as installation goes it is very straight forward. I bought the kit from SpeedWay motors. It uses all the same components as the TCI/Heidts kit just at a much cheaper cost. Mine was around $1300 w/o cross member but thats because I opted for coil over drop spindles 5/8" narrowed tubular control arms and PS. The cross member was another $399 I believe from Heidts. And it comes with every nut and bolt. They offer kits ranging from $999 - $1899 w/o crossmember. Here is the one that at bought at speedway just as a reference. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Coilover-IFS-w-Tubular-Control-Arms,35674.html