Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Fuel leak near carb

My best guess is I have a stock 302 block with a possible overbore or re-hone.

So I got the oil changed and was getting ready to start it up for the 4th time since I've owned it and I see a pool of liquid in the top of the intake manifold valleys. It's odd because I just cleaned out what I thought was a little ATF fluid slung up there by the bad PS pump but what do I know so I dab it up with a paper towel and it's kerosene (bad gas) which I know there was some in the bottom of the tank I'm trying to burn off.

Here's what I know. There have been several carbs put on and removed from this car. The current one is this Holley with 6R1919B cast into it. I think this latest one was put on in the 2006 time frame.

The pool was on the opposite side of the carb from where the fuel line enters but this carb looks like it is ambidextrous and there is an intake on both sides, the drivers side has some kind of plug in it. It isn't obviously wet there so I don't know for sure if that is the leak either. ** On second look the leak is coming from under the carburetor**

I have an Autolite carb in a box that came with the car that has a tag with C9 AF A. I'm assuming this is the original carb but it probably needs to be rebuilt.

Current Holley carb, you can see a small pool on the right, this was after I cleaned some of it up.

1ebb74aa.jpg

I don't know anything about carburetors, Is this one any good? Should I try to go back to an original setup, get a third one or just hope the leak is a gasket and replace it?

I believe the red wire on the lower right was connected to a previous carb.

Edited by TexasEd

My best guess is I have a stock 302 block with a possible overbore or re-hone.

So I got the oil changed and was getting ready to start it up for the 4th time since I've owned it and I see a pool of liquid in the top of the intake manifold valleys. It's odd because I just cleaned out what I thought was a little ATF fluid slung up there by the bad PS pump but what do I know so I dab it up with a paper towel and it's kerosene (bad gas) which I know there was some in the bottom of the tank I'm trying to burn off.

Here's what I know. There have been several carbs put on and removed from this car. The current one is this Holley with 6R1919B cast into it. I think this latest one was put on in the 2006 time frame.

The pool was on the opposite side of the carb from where the fuel line enters but this carb looks like it is ambidextrous and there is an intake on both sides, the drivers side has some kind of plug in it. It isn't obviously wet there so I don't know for sure if that is the leak either. ** On second look the leak is coming from under the carburetor**

I have an Autolite carb in a box that came with the car that has a tag with C9 AF A. I'm assuming this is the original carb but it probably needs to be rebuilt.

Current Holley carb, you can see a small pool on the right, this was after I cleaned some of it up.

1ebb74aa.jpg

I don't know anything about carburetors, Is this one any good? Should I try to go back to an original setup, get a third one or just hope the leak is a gasket and replace it?

I believe the red wire on the lower right was connected to a previous carb.

Edited by TexasEd

I think I've decided to rebuild the Autolite 2100 I have. I'll need to figure out how to get the choke working since those parts are removed. I ordered the online shop manuals from fordmanuals.com so I'm hoping that helps.

Does anyone have a picture of how the choke heater assembly is supposed to look on their car? I don't think I have that part because the previous owner switched the carb and air cleaner out so many times.

I have the original air cleaner housing though.

Edited by TexasEd

I think I've decided to rebuild the Autolite 2100 I have. I'll need to figure out how to get the choke working since those parts are removed. I ordered the online shop manuals from fordmanuals.com so I'm hoping that helps.

Does anyone have a picture of how the choke heater assembly is supposed to look on their car? I don't think I have that part because the previous owner switched the carb and air cleaner out so many times.

I have the original air cleaner housing though.

Edited by TexasEd