Sign in to follow this  
harlan69mach

69 Mach 1 w/351-2V 3-speed

Our Mach 1 has a 351-2V with a 3-speed manual. This was the base Mach 1 package in 69. At shows people tell me that must be rare as they have never seen a Mach 1 with a 3-speed. Any body have any information on this or a Marti report telling how many were configured this way? <!-- start: postbit_signature -->

I had a 69 Mach with the 351 2v and a three speed. Incidently it is the car being talked about in the thread above yours. After 22 years i finally found it and hope to get it back.

I have been following your thread. I think it is great that you found your Mach 1 and that the owner is willing to sell to you. That helped me decide to post my question.

According to Virginia Mustang "There were 5,693 H-code 3spd 69 Sportsroofs and 4,513 M-code 3spd 69 Sportsroofs. Deluxe Marti report doesn't break these down in Mach 1 category."

According to Marti's book, the 351-2V (H-code) Mustangs had around twice as many 3-speeds as 4-speeds. On the 351-4V (M-code) the reverse was true.

According to Virginia Mustang "There were 5,693 H-code 3spd 69 Sportsroofs and 4,513 M-code 3spd 69 Sportsroofs. Deluxe Marti report doesn't break these down in Mach 1 category."

According to Marti's book, the 351-2V (H-code) Mustangs had around twice as many 3-speeds as 4-speeds. On the 351-4V (M-code) the reverse was true.

Thanks for the info. The production numbers for 69 show 56,022 of 63A standard sportsroof, 5,958 of 63B deluxe sportsroof and 72,458 of 63C Mach 1. This is a total of 134,438 sports roofs. Thus the 5,693 H-code 3spd is only 4% of the total sportsroof production for 69.

I can always remember wishing mine was a 4 speed. It just didnt have the launch off the line but second gear was long and you could really wind it out. I sometimes found I could beat the other guy because I didnt have to shift that extra time. Really worked from light to light. Not so much for the 1/4 mile. Unfortunately all that beating is what stressed the unibody which caused my parents to make me sell it which caused my 22 years of searching for it which caused my hoping to buy the car back which caused my....AAAHHHHH!!!

Mine was the plain jane black three speed knob. Reverse upper left, 1st lower left, etc etc. I hated the three speed knob and getting my chops busted by my buddies for having a three speed so I switched it out for a hurst T handle. Incidently, the current owner believes that T handle is still on the shifter...amazing after 22years.