Sign in to follow this  
stangracr

speedo trouble

while installing new lenses and printed circuit i found the mount for my speedo head has a rubber bushing of sorts that centers the speedo head. This bushing is deteriated. I tried making one and it worked for a while but now the speedo is going crazy. Anyone ever run onto this? If the speedo head isnt in the exact perfect place it rubs on the back and the needle sticks.

ed

I know of the rubber thing of which you speak. I was debating pulling mine out to repaint the houseing but I was afraid of taking out the rubber. It is a very special piece (shape wise) and mine was all age hardened. I don't know who/where to buy one. I can try to get a pic of the rubber thing but it will likely be tomorrow or tuesday. I was thinking the rubber thing probably was so the magnetic part of the speedo was kept away from the metal houseing.

I would guess a place that rebuilds automotive gauges (Instrument Services comes to mind) can properly repair problems like this.

I think the '69/70 non-tach speedo's are now being reproduced, so that could be an option too if you've got a non-tach car.

Doug