Sign in to follow this  
DRASTiK

Missing Cowl 'ring'

I was browsing through Junior2561's thread in the progress forum and one of his pics brought something to my attention (hope you don't mind that I'm using one of your pics Junior), so I went and looked at my coupe and sure enough, I'm missing the collar that goes around the hole in the lower cowl panel. I can't see any remnants that it ever existed and the area (best I can tell with flashlight and extendable mirror) does not appear to be rotted.

Without that ring in place, will rain water flow into my heater box and cause a ton of problems?

What is the proper name for this collar so I can buy one if needed. I assume it is used to draw fresh air into the HVAC system?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Yes, you need that ring there to do exactly what you think. It looks like you have some work cut out for you huh? It is part of a cowl patch panel. Any Mustang parts house will have that section. Just cut off what you don't need and repair yours. Or have a piece of sheet metal rolled into a ring and use it.

Or you can get the plastic cowl vent repair kit, but these need to be installed from under the dash. That means you would have to pull your heater/ac unit out to get to it. Bruce

Well the car is already gutted so getting under the dash is no big deal. Is there a benefit to replacing with metal vs the plastic? Common sense says 'work smarter not harder' but experience says 'do it right the first time'. Thoughts?

Well I would use metal as plastic will get old/brittle, and NOONE would want to do this repair again in 10 yrs. (I only say this since the car is already gutted) It couldn't take long to weld in a collar and seam seal it then prime the cowl. Then you know its right for the next 40 yrs.

Thanks guys. Just wanted some others thoughts before I proceeded. Metal it is!

After all, the welder was just starting to accumulate dust for the first time in years. Can't have that now can we... ;-)

This weekend, I'll take a very close look at the area again. I have a feeling there will be more patching involved than just the collar, but we'll see.

Again, THANKS to Junior for his pics. They helped me to avoid a MAJOR headached down the road.