Sign in to follow this  
tombags

Transmission going into reverse

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1969 Mustang convertible with a C-4 automatic transmission and 302-2B. When I put the shifter in reverse it takes some time to go in. Sometimes I have to double shift before it will go into reverse. Also from a dead stop sometimes it takes off in 2nd gear instead of first . The fluid is full and someone suggested to me that the transmission my be gummed up and I should put in an additive. I would like some opinions on this. Thanks for the help......

Tom

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1969 Mustang convertible with a C-4 automatic transmission and 302-2B. When I put the shifter in reverse it takes some time to go in. Sometimes I have to double shift before it will go into reverse. Also from a dead stop sometimes it takes off in 2nd gear instead of first . The fluid is full and someone suggested to me that the transmission my be gummed up and I should put in an additive. I would like some opinions on this. Thanks for the help......

Tom

Any history on the car? Last tranny flush, rebuild recently etc? My uneducated non mechanic guess is the tranny is probably on its way out. You can add an additive and flush but be prepared- this may simply finish off the tranny or you may get 10000 more miles. You will find many storys about changing fluid and trannys failing soon after- most were way overdue and the damage was already done. Maybe you'll get lucky and its a linkage thing.

Any history on the car? Last tranny flush, rebuild recently etc? My uneducated non mechanic guess is the tranny is probably on its way out. You can add an additive and flush but be prepared- this may simply finish off the tranny or you may get 10000 more miles. You will find many storys about changing fluid and trannys failing soon after- most were way overdue and the damage was already done. Maybe you'll get lucky and its a linkage thing.

Hello Everyone,

Tom

like the above said ^^^ it could also be a bad or loose hose in the vacccum modulator, the linkage needs re-adjusting or like ur friend said needs some additive, Try using red line transmission additive it worked in my old c4 until the trans gave out in my drive way.

or you can just rebuild it or buy one that can take up to 1000hp. :) thats what i did i bought the PA street fighter that can hold up to 450hp

Hello Everyone,

Tom

like the above said ^^^ it could also be a bad or loose hose in the vacccum modulator, the linkage needs re-adjusting or like ur friend said needs some additive, Try using red line transmission additive it worked in my old c4 until the trans gave out in my drive way.

or you can just rebuild it or buy one that can take up to 1000hp. :) thats what i did i bought the PA street fighter that can hold up to 450hp