Sign in to follow this  
69_302RustangFB

AOD Trans Swap

Simple question, I'm looking to do an AOD swap and need to know what year(s) of an AOD I need to be looking for. I've been told that I can only use an E4OD, or that it can only be one made from 80-88 and that anything after 88 up to the AODE is electronic and won't work with the 69 mechanical set up. Found tons of threads on the swap itself but nothing about selecting an AOD to use. Little insight into selecting the appropriate AOD would be great.

Thanks.

Anything pre 88 had a tail shaft oiling problem. 88-93 mustang V-8 are a good source for what you are looking for. AODE you will have to get a stand alone controller (computer) to operate it. On the AOD you need a TV cable and the main problem is getting it adjusted correctly, if you don't you will burn the trans in no time. Good source for AOD transmission info is http://www.clickclickracing.com/

Just as Grabber said. You want the latest year AOD you can get. Because by the time the 90's rolled around Ford was beginning to use the stronger stamped steel drums in the AOD that were designed for the AODE ("E" being electronic). I got an AOD out of a 91 Lincoln Town Car for my 69 Mach 1 and several of the drums were the upgraded stamped steel units from the factory. That saved some money as I only had to upgrade a drum or two.

After 93 all Ford AOD's were AODE. Then around 97 or 98 Ford upgraded again to the 4R70W also electronic. Ford offered two different low gear ratios in the 4R70W which makes for yet another upgrade if you are racing. Check out clickclickracing.com and it will just boggle your mind. Bruce

Thanks for the help and input. I ended up finding a 92 AOD out of a 5.0 FOX. Looks to be in good condition. Going to have it rebuilt anyways since it came from a Pick and Pull place. The guy wouldn't sell it to me at first because his computer said it wouldn't work in a carb'd 69 mustang. A Buddy of mine provided the TV cable, an "A" servo and some other performance stuff to have put in it when rebuilt. Anyways hope to have it in and working before too long.