Sign in to follow this  
pablo63

Hello all, looking for 351 build help.

Dont be scared off by custom camshaft; they are the only way to fly in my opinion. Its worth the extry $100 to get the right camshaft the first time around and the increased driveability and efficiency that they offer. Could be one wicked engine.

This is so true. So many people seem to be intimidated by a custom camshaft, but I think for your build it's a must. You goal is reachable, but it's going to take everything being exactly right, and a custom cam will take advantage of everything you have, and give more driveability. I can recommend a couple of places for a good cam.

Remember when you're porting your own heads, power comes from opening the roof. If you take too muck off the floor of those heads, you're going to hurt the power capabilities.

This is so true. So many people seem to be intimidated by a custom camshaft, but I think for your build it's a must. You goal is reachable, but it's going to take everything being exactly right, and a custom cam will take advantage of everything you have, and give more driveability. I can recommend a couple of places for a good cam.

Remember when you're porting your own heads, power comes from opening the roof. If you take too muck off the floor of those heads, you're going to hurt the power capabilities.

Thanks for the advice. I left the floor pretty much alone except for smoothing the radiuses in a little after doing the walls. As far as the cam goes I was thinking of going custom but don't have much to go on right now. I may get back to you on that.

Thanks for the advice. I left the floor pretty much alone except for smoothing the radiuses in a little after doing the walls. As far as the cam goes I was thinking of going custom but don't have much to go on right now. I may get back to you on that.

One of the largest mistakes in porting SBF heads, is removing the "hump" in the floor on the exhaust side. You can hurt your performance there. It's better to open the roof to give a more direct flow into the chamber.

Edited by sportsroof69

Gotcha, I had gathered that from reading a couple threads on porting the 69-70 heads. When i mentioned smoothing the radiuses I meant from the walls into the floor. The curve of the "floor" or short side radius, was left in tact.