Sign in to follow this  
SunnDogg

BB Equalizer Bar

Piecing together the clutch linkage for a 390 project and realized tonight that the z-bar I have is incorrect as well as bent. I'm interested in knowing what option would be best for picking up a new bar. Engine will be a mostly standard rebuild with a McLeod diaphragm pressure plate.

I did notice the ad in the latest Mustang Monthly for the Muscle Z-Bar, but am not sure how well that would work with with standard motor mounts and engine movement.

http://www.barillarospeed.net/products.html

Curious to know what else I should consider before spending the money on a NOS or repop unit and possibly bending it down the road. I've read about welding in supports, but do not have the tools or the expertise.

Thanks in advance.

Piecing together the clutch linkage for a 390 project and realized tonight that the z-bar I have is incorrect as well as bent. I'm interested in knowing what option would be best for picking up a new bar. Engine will be a mostly standard rebuild with a McLeod diaphragm pressure plate.

I did notice the ad in the latest Mustang Monthly for the Muscle Z-Bar, but am not sure how well that would work with with standard motor mounts and engine movement.

http://www.barillarospeed.net/products.html

Curious to know what else I should consider before spending the money on a NOS or repop unit and possibly bending it down the road. I've read about welding in supports, but do not have the tools or the expertise.

Thanks in advance.

If your clutch is like a centerforce diaphragm clutch, you will not have the pressure on the Z-Bar like stock type clutches. You will also have to remove assists spring under the dash or you pedal will not return up at high rpm. My car would stick the clutch to the floor at idle.

If your clutch is like a centerforce diaphragm clutch, you will not have the pressure on the Z-Bar like stock type clutches. You will also have to remove assists spring under the dash or you pedal will not return up at high rpm. My car would stick the clutch to the floor at idle.

I hated my z bar .. it would pop off at in opportune times .. like there was any time you'd want it to come off :001_huh:

I'm going with a cable clutch set up. Less moving parts. There are also hydraulic set ups. But if you are trying to stay more original then one of the modern units would be your best shot, I'd think.