Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

Strange lines

Hello fellow mustang lovers. I finally got my 302 to start! Time for all the minor details.

There is a thin length of tubing coming up from the automatic tranny behind the engine going to nothing. This has a short piece of what appears to be vacuum hose. Anyone know what this line should go to?

Max Power got it. It is a vac line if there isnt a vac line on your intake you can use the vac line on your carb also.

To be clear, it needs to be manifold vacuum, not ported. If you have an aftermarket carb like a Holley, don't hook it up to a ported source.

I think stock from the factory there is a fitting at the back of the intake that feeds power brake/PCV/Transmission modulator, etc on non-A/C cars. A/C cars probably have even more.

You need the "kick down bar" hooked up in order to have the transmission to up and down shift. One piece of the linkage goes on the carburetor linkage. This part is elongated and is held on with a cotter key and washer, this part slides back and forth. The other end of the linkage goes down to the transmission and is connected there. The linkage should be made up of several pieces. Take it to a transmission shop, if you have any questions. If I recall correctly, there should be a spring on a bracket attached to the intake manifold. This spring keeps tension on the kickdown.

Edited by Hoover

You need the "kick down bar" hooked up in order to have the transmission to up and down shift. One piece of the linkage goes on the carburetor linkage. This part is elongated and is held on with a cotter key and washer, this part slides back and forth. The other end of the linkage goes down to the transmission and is connected there. The linkage should be made up of several pieces. Take it to a transmission shop, if you have any questions. If I recall correctly, there should be a spring on a bracket attached to the intake manifold. This spring keeps tension on the kickdown.

I dont believe the kickdown is needed. Without the kickdown you will have to simply manually downshift to go down a gear. For example your driving down the road at 45mph in 3rd gear, you put your foot in it, a car with the kickdown will downshift for you and you, if you dont have the kickdown you will simply stay in 3d instead of going down to second unless you shift it down manually. Your car will still go back down to first if lets say you stop at a stop sign or a red light without the kickdown...... So you will still be able to use the drive function....

In my Fox body with a shift kit and an adjustable modulator I am able to drop my C4 down to second with WOT as the secondaries open and the vacuum drops quickly. It's pretty impressive and it does slap your neck into the seat. Anyway, all with no shift down linkage.

Kickdown is used to downshift in an automatic transmission triggered when the driver pushes the accelerator to the floor.. Not something that will make the transmission not function properly but it is somewhat useful.