Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

Aftermarket wiring harness problems

Just got done installing an "EZ wiring harness" in my 1969 mustang. I went to start the car and check to make sure everything worked. When I turned the key to run position I could smell smoke and noticed smoke coming from behind my gauge cluster. I immediately turned the key off and disconnected the battery. Upon further investigation I found melted electrical tape which I used to wrap the wires. I believe it's from the gauge power wire which comes off the same line as the coil wire. I checked my wiring diagram and it kinda looks like there should be a resistor in the gauge power line. Any ideas?

Hmmmm wild guess by me.... but 69 mustangs had a resistor wire built in and the kit you bought probable doesnt have that resister wire built in.... I think thats just for the coil... I cant really remember though.

If your running a stock points distributor dont forget to use a ballast resister.

The smokeyness could be a number of things though. You should have used shrink tubes instead of electrical tape because its cleaner and more reliable.

Good luck. Im sure someone here can help ya

damn I might have been right lol...

I dunno I did a painless kit. All it asks for is that you use a ballast resistor of like 0.8 ohms or greater when running a points distributor or they will fry.

Are you talking about the group of wires that goes into the gauge cluster? or the engine harness group(oil pressure, water temp, and coil)?