Sign in to follow this  
BLF

Turn signal problem

You are a man of few words...to few to be very helpful here, I'm afraid. Here are some thoughts to get you started:

Your turn signals are actuated by a lever which is just a switch below your steering wheel. This switch itself is a very fragile gizmo made out of plastic that can easily break. I've had 2 69's and both had bad turn signal switches.

If the plastic is broken, your lever will not engage the electrical switch and you will need to replace the plastic cam (not very expensive). In my case, I had to replace the entire switch (including 10 or so wires that run down the column to the main connector and this gizmo is about $80 or so.

It's also possible that your turn signal switch is just dandy but your flasher is out. The flasher is a little can under your dash that acts as a relay and breaks the connection to your lights so they flash. The flasher is cheap and easy to replace.

You could have some wiring issue that could be anything, but since it sounds like it just stopped working, I'd be surprised if you have a big problem.

So, did both sides quit? Have you walked around the car to see if any of the lights blink with the lever engaged? Does the lever "click" into place as it should or does it feel "mushy" when you engage it? Do the emergency flashers work? This is good info to explain on your followup.

Good luck.

Tom

The turn signal lever works fine, it engages both direction with a slight click.

When I engage the lever both side, the outside parking lights or tail ligts don,t flash. I will take your advice with considerable thought and replace

the flasher first.