Sign in to follow this  
Fordrevhead

W/P & RAD differences 67 289 and 70 302

OK, since my coupe is ready to go out and get media blasted but we just got about 16" of snow... I am working on the engine.

I am using a 67 289 from a previous Mustang that I built for a drag car. I dissasembled it today to clean it up, needs a repaint, different oil pan and pickup, etc. I found a crack in the timing cover so that's out unless I weld it.

It got me thinking... I have to decide on which pulley setup I will go with. If I use a 70 rad, which I plan on, I know both the inlet and outlet are more to the pass. side. Earlier stangs had the bottom on the drivers the top on the pass.

So I need to use a 70 w/p or just different hoses?

Does changing the pump require changing the timing cover?

I wouldnt think so... all of those timing covers were the same for years. I went through this when I changed to a serpentine reverse wrap once and had to use a later model reverse water pump. I want to get a new fluid damper and pulley setup so I should pick that as well. Currently 3 bolt 289 damper, a stock 70 pulley setup (large and ugly) have 4 bolt.

suggestions welcomed. TIA

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, I think you have the radiator bottom hose location wrong. 70 and later radiators are DS bottom. 69 back are PS bottom. The timing cover will work with both DS and PS pumps. With the older 3 bolt balancer and PS lower hose, the timing pointer is on the DS. It's on the PS 70 up. If you don't get all the parts in order, the timing marks and pointer will be covered up by the water pump. Confused yet? Example: My wife's 65 Stang has a 75 model 302, 4 bolt balancer, and 65 PS water pump. It's imposible to use a timing light because the pointer and timing marks are covered by the water pump inlet, finding pullies to fit was a pain and I had to fudge them a little to make everything line up. I could fabricate a pointer and use timing tape on the balancer I guess but I just set it by ear. Who knows where it's at tho.

You would need to use all 70 model parts IMO ( water pump, pullies, 4 bolt balancer, timing pointer) to match the radiator. The DS radiator starts a chain reaction need for the 70 up parts.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

no u are right slime, I was working on the engine looking at it from the front all day and had my left and right backwards. I know exactly what you mean with the timing indicator too. My 80 Fox body has that exact problem after switching to reverse w/p and serpentine on a 1979 302 block. I static time it then by ear then vacuum gauges, works fine.

I think I'll get a damper with both the 3 and 4 holes just in case. Hmmm, I dont recall seeing the counter weight on the old damper. I know each rod and piston was weight matched by milling the bottom of the rods, and the entire assembly was balanced afterward... I'll have to check into that.

OK counter weight was there so that's good.

So now, the plot thickens. Using the 70+ waterpump I cannot use the 69.5 and older PS mtg brackets as they dont line up with the waterpump bolts. I have a rebuilt 68 PS pump so my thoughts are to use a 71-73 front plate bracket and adjusting bracket. The 70 has the oddball off center large hose fitting in the back but in 71 they returned to the old.

Does anyone know FOR SURE if the 71-73 pumps are the same depth and have the same mtg hole pattern as the 68? I know the return line is different, this I can deal with.

no one? I just did a repost over on MustangSteves FYIFORD and on stangfix.... here's a recap:

I need some help with power steering brackets, etc. I am putting a 68 289 into a 1970 Mustang.

I already have a good rebuilt 1968 PS pump and a 69 front steel PS bracket (3C511-351W).

I need to use the 1970+ water pump so the inlet is on the drivers side to match the RAD. The 69 bracket looks to have the incorrect bolt flange spacing and offsets to work with this water pump.

I also cant use the 1970 'power steering pump adjusting bracket' because I am not using the special 1970 only pump.

I cant tell from pictures I have found, but is a 68 pump with the smaller centered outlet the same as a 71-73 pump? I know the return port location changed, but I can deal with that.

My thoughts are to switch to a 71-73 front bracket and adjusting bracket IF the 68 pump will mount in it.

Thanks!

FRH

OK, so a 68 PS pump fits on a 71 bracket and the 71 adjuster fits on the 70 water pump, pulley offsets work if they are all 70 close to engine or all newer model/further away.

The 71 brackets are butt ugly though. Now I'm thinking about piecing together a serpentine system, lol.

Anyone ever use a Fox body PS pump with the stock 70 power steering assist system? I know people have used the Fox body pump when switching to R&P but I havent made that plunge...yet.

I am considering ridding of the shock towers...dunno.

Nice weather now back to media blasting the body tomorrow. I can think on the pulley crap for a while.

OK, so a 68 PS pump fits on a 71 bracket and the 71 adjuster fits on the 70 water pump, pulley offsets work if they are all 70 close to engine or all newer model/further away.

The 71 brackets are butt ugly though. Now I'm thinking about piecing together a serpentine system, lol.

Anyone ever use a Fox body PS pump with the stock 70 power steering assist system? I know people have used the Fox body pump when switching to R&P but I havent made that plunge...yet.

Nice weather now back to media blasting the body tomorrow. I can think on the pulley crap for a while.