Sign in to follow this  
Wade

keys for ignition and trunk

OK this may seem like a silly question. I was wondering if the ignition lock and the trunk lock took the same style of key. You know how the key is offset. Kind of hard to explain but you know when you look down the key while holding it in a vertical plane, my ignition has the top part toward the left and then jogs to the right.

Anyway, my car has the exact same type of offset for the trunk and ignition. I thought it would be cool to get the old style keys so I can have the square one for the ignition and the round type for the trunk.

So I ordered the factory replacements complete with a pony on them. Currently both keys are square with same offset, the ones I ordered have the round trunk key with a reverse offset.

Is the key wrong, or is the trunk lock wrong? Or does this even make sense :)

When I'm up to it I'll tackle some more challenging questions for everyone. I still have to remove the dash and figure out some wiring problems. I was looking forward to having some time off to work on the stang but instead got sick so I'm lying down being catered to by my wife and sitting up enough to use my laptop.

That's what I thought.

I also thought the door key and the ignition key were the same?

I have the same offset for all locks and one key fits the ignition and the other key fits the doors and trunk.

OK so there is one key for doors and trunk and one key for ignition. The problem is that the offset is wrong for the doors and trunk. They have the square key and an offset which matches the ignition. It seems as though the doors and trunk locks were replaced with an incorrect year? Maybe they used different offsets in different years, or the repros are done wrong.

I would like to get all the locks correct. before posting this I did a quick search and I have seen complete kits which include ignition and all locks. But it appears they are being keyed all the same. This may explain why the offset is different on the replacements on the car now.

Any manufacturer recommended for replacements that are OEM style?