Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Master Cylinder trouble - Bummed

First on all yes you do need the retaining clip they do not sell or make them separately at any parts store so you would have to order one off the inter net. As for the brake light switch it sounds like you have the wrong push rod for the master so I would say to measure your old and new one and compare mine was 1/4" off and the pedal was 2" higher then normal and could get the switch back on either so I would say just buy a whole new push rod and retaining clip

Hello StephenC,

The lack of a clip was bothering me.

I got a little lucky today. I went to the parts store and bought a cheap rebuilt Master. It had the same clip.... So now all I have to do is put the clip on the new rod and then figure how to get the damn brake light switch in - - LOL

The rebuilt was $20.00 and I feel better doing this. On some things I may skimp but not on the brakes, besides, I can keep the master on and just finish up.

I tried to buy just the rod and clip and can't find them at parts stores, Ford dealers and an antique Ford supply place.

As far as the rod length - - I measured the rod length to the old one and they are exact. The problem I am having is getting the switch in.

The rod fits great on the pedal pin, but then I gotta slide it to the side, put the switch up above and pull down. Then I have to get the hole in the driver side of the switch to align with the pedal pin. After that I just put in the washer and "cotter" pin clip.

I may be making this harder than it needs to be, but for now, when I try to pull the switch down over the rod, it hangs. I am going to try a fresh start tomorrow.

I am attaching a picture of the clip with a dime next to it.

I put the dime, cause that's about all I got left - - LOL

The dime of course is to show size.

I tried a lot of places to get this "Clover" looking clip.

Thanks for the advice and the time - - - P. Dad - Jim

Edited by Print Dad
forgot pix

First on all yes you do need the retaining clip they do not sell or make them separately at any parts store so you would have to order one off the inter net. As for the brake light switch it sounds like you have the wrong push rod for the master so I would say to measure your old and new one and compare mine was 1/4" off and the pedal was 2" higher then normal and could get the switch back on either so I would say just buy a whole new push rod and retaining clip

Hello StephenC,

The lack of a clip was bothering me.

I got a little lucky today. I went to the parts store and bought a cheap rebuilt Master. It had the same clip.... So now all I have to do is put the clip on the new rod and then figure how to get the damn brake light switch in - - LOL

The rebuilt was $20.00 and I feel better doing this. On some things I may skimp but not on the brakes, besides, I can keep the master on and just finish up.

I tried to buy just the rod and clip and can't find them at parts stores, Ford dealers and an antique Ford supply place.

As far as the rod length - - I measured the rod length to the old one and they are exact. The problem I am having is getting the switch in.

The rod fits great on the pedal pin, but then I gotta slide it to the side, put the switch up above and pull down. Then I have to get the hole in the driver side of the switch to align with the pedal pin. After that I just put in the washer and "cotter" pin clip.

I may be making this harder than it needs to be, but for now, when I try to pull the switch down over the rod, it hangs. I am going to try a fresh start tomorrow.

I am attaching a picture of the clip with a dime next to it.

I put the dime, cause that's about all I got left - - LOL

The dime of course is to show size.

I tried a lot of places to get this "Clover" looking clip.

Thanks for the advice and the time - - - P. Dad - Jim

Edited by Print Dad
forgot pix