Sign in to follow this  
BlackBullitt22

My 1969 Fastback Project

Hey guys I picked up a 1969 Fastback around the 1st of this year, I have been working on it weekends and after work some days. It came with a 302-2V V8 Engine in it that ran when I went to pick her up. I checked the VIN and it originally was a T Code so it had an Inline 6. I am looking to Resto-Mod it and have ~500RWHP most likely using a built up 351W. I am still stripping it down, right now I have removed... the Fenders, Hood, Doors, Engine, Tranny, The Interior with the exception the steering wheel/column and some harnesses ill probably finish getting that out tonight. I have sanded about 30-40% of the car so far.... and I have found quite a bit of Bondo on both Quarter Panels and the Roof. As for Rust damage.. The floorboard behind the driver seat platform has rusted through and there are small area were it has rusted through on the front passenger so I basically need new floorboards from what I can tell. I guess what I am asking is..

How much will it cost to have the following replaced:

Floorboards (Rust Damage)

Driver and Passenger Quarter Panels (Dent/Body Damage)

Roof (Dent/Body Damage)

As far as I can tell that is the only damage... but I am no expert... the underside of the car seems pretty clean... as well as the Torque Boxes and Cowl... which I have heard are usually pretty common problem areas... I am considering picking up a Lincoln MIG welder and learning to do it myself.. but.. I don't see that going as well as I would hope.. lol.

Any tips appreciated, look forward to talking to you guys (and asking plenty of questions) as I restore this car.

Thanks,

Brandon

Dont know what to tell you but I did major metal work on my car with a little Lincoln mig and did just fine. You should be able to tackle the floor board repairs yourself. As far as roof and quarters go you want them perfect. I have filler in mine and looks like glass. My roof was a mess, did not do the body work myself. Good luck and try to post some pics of your car and progress.

Dont know what to tell you but I did major metal work on my car with a little Lincoln mig and did just fine. You should be able to tackle the floor board repairs yourself. As far as roof and quarters go you want them perfect. I have filler in mine and looks like glass. My roof was a mess, did not do the body work myself. Good luck and try to post some pics of your car and progress.

Thanks man.. feel alot better about possibly tackling it myself now. It honestly doesn't look too hard... but thats going off some Youtube "How To" Videos... I also wouldn't have to deal with a body shop... which would be awesome...

I had/have much the same issues with my 70 as you have. I put a one piece floor pan, torque boxes, and all new steel from the firewall forward. I still need to do both my quarter panels, wheel houses, and trunk/transition floor piece. You can click on the link in my signature to my hub garage to see pictures of what I did with my car.

Wow... that is some awesome work man. Its funny when you think about it... you basically have had to replace 85% of the car lol. Chances are I will as well... quick questions...

The Torque Boxes rust from the inside out, correct?

Also were do you find replacement torque boxes?