Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Rear brake shoes and drums on a 9 inch

I just installed a 9 inch rear end on my convertible, I was told it came out of a Cougar. I went to NAPA to get shoes and drums an they baffled me with the 3 or 4 size options. Since I really don't have any idea what this rear end came out and it did not come with drums I am not sure what to buy. I do know it has the larger axle bearing and appears to be meant for a 31 spline however it is a 28 spline.

I read this old post from "daley driver" however I also read on another site that said 67-70 Mustang V8 cars came with 10x1 3/4.

"The drum surface is slightly wider than the shoe.

The drum size is named by the shoe width.

On mustangs, 9"rears have 10" X 2", [351 cid/boss 302 and up cid ]8" rears have 10' X 1 3/4", [302/289 models and I-6 250 cid w/5 lug axle rears]

Yours sounds like 10" x 1 3/4", have your supplier help you , you are the one paying for them. If they cant, go somewhere else."

The shoe size is what the drum is called, in other words a 2" wide shoe takes a 2" drum. the drum will actually be a little wider. the only thing I've seen 31 slines in is a 428, you can tell by the end of the axle shaft, if it has a good size hole in it then it's a 28, if it's pretty much flush it's a 31. but it doesn't matter on brakes.

My S code 9" has the 2" like every other 9" mustang I've seen. since you don't have drums anyway just get 2" shoes and drums and go for it. be sure to put new slaves in too.