Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Functional Hood Scoop?

There was a factory ram air option in 1970 that used the 4 pie cutouts and gasketing around the outside of the air cleaner. I have a friend that had one. These were like the 1968 ram air options. This is not to be confused with the shaker ram air option. I assume they did the same in 1969 for the mustang.

JAG

wow you guys really need to use the search function......i've been documenting these types of cutouts for several years and YES they are factory, as a matter of fact there are actually 2 different types of these same style hoods for 69 the one you guys have with the "pie cut" as we have come to call it and ones with the cross pieces cutout, which actually appear on "most" 69 GT's, at least the ones with 4v engines anyway from what i have been able to determine. my car actually had a covering over the opening in the scoop that was made out of some very thick aluminum foil type tape, like you would find on air conditioning ducting but thicker and much wider, it was actually more like sheets of the stuff and it was painted to match the color of the car all done at the factory.

i have been able to determine that there was some sort of ram air, most likely the same style that the torinos, cougars and 68 1/2 CJ mustangs used, planned for the 69 GT and probably mach 1 but for whatever reason it was stillborn after the hoods had been stamped and/or cut out. on my car the opening is actually stamped not cut but my car was built at dearborn in mid november so maybe san jose didn't have the tooling for it to be stamped out or something, who knows really.

anyway, just something interesting i've been able to find out in my years of trying to document this style of hood. if interested try doing a search on here for GT hood or something to that effect, IIRC the title of the original thread i started several years ago was something "new development for 69 GT owners" or something to that effect.

Mr. Nickel,

Yes, you’re right – in hindsight the search function should’ve been considered. Didn’t even see it. I’m a ‘live and learn’ newb here. Nonetheless, MANY THANKS for chiming in with this information!! Happy to verify that my gut feel was right. As mentioned, my first thought was they were an owner mod. This was reinforced by the well known history about these Ford non-functional cosmetic scoops. Of course, that’s not to say that they can be considered functional because of this cut out, but seeing the same distinct pattern cropping up here and there seemed to be too much of a coincidence to be only an owner mod. I have a new appreciation for the hood my car came with. Many thanks again!

Best regards,

Tony

Mr. Nickel,

Yes, you’re right – in hindsight the search function should’ve been considered. Didn’t even see it. I’m a ‘live and learn’ newb here. Nonetheless, MANY THANKS for chiming in with this information!! Happy to verify that my gut feel was right. As mentioned, my first thought was they were an owner mod. This was reinforced by the well known history about these Ford non-functional cosmetic scoops. Of course, that’s not to say that they can be considered functional because of this cut out, but seeing the same distinct pattern cropping up here and there seemed to be too much of a coincidence to be only an owner mod. I have a new appreciation for the hood my car came with. Many thanks again!

Best regards,

Tony

glad to help, and the search function comment was mostly in jest really, although there is a ton of good info available on this site that can be found with the search function. unlike a lot of sites the search function here actually brings up a lot of stuff on the subject you are searching, like any search engine though, different phrasings may be bring up different pieces of info.

jayru, i know the subject of thread didn't really "require" using the search function to find the info requested but try a search on ram air and you'll get even more information than has been talked about in this thread, just FYI......:biggrin:

I think most of us have decided that most forum search functions are a pain and you still sift through tons of posts to find one. The old VMF function comes to mind instantly. But since I've got nothing better to do at the moment I did find this lengthy thread I'm reading into.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2350

Edited by 69RestoRod

going to pop this thread to the top again. Yesterday I bought a truck load of Mustang parts from a Chevy guy, lol. Along with the fun of going through two totes of random parts... the main reason for the buy was a factory Mach 1 hood in decent condition minus the scoop. I have a scoop from a previous rust bucket I parted out. This hood has hood pins which I dont think are factory and it has a hole under the scoop which I know is not factory. They cut an ugly round hole (not too large though, roughly 6-7"). I have decided to use the hood for my coupe restore.

I would like to redo this hole to something better looking and perhaps even make it "ram air" someday. Can anyone give me a dimension on a 69/70 302 from the back edge of the hood to the center of the carb?

Also the red oxide looking primer and flat black paint on the OEM Ford scoop I have, did not bond very well to the plastic scoop. I scraped almost all of it off with a gasket scraper. Mostly just looks like it wasn't sanded. Any tips on this? I was planning to sand it with 180 and epoxy seal it for now??

I need a nice pair of turn signals (complete) and harness for this scoop as well if anyone has them.

TIA

Thought I'd bring this back from the dead. Read an interesting article in Muscle Mustangs that the original Boss 9's actually ran like crap from the factory till people figured out that large hood scoop was actually starving the engine for air (low pressure zone). When they removed the air cleaner (letting mass amounts of under hood air in), the car actually picked up over a 1/2 sec at the track!

So for all you (functional) hood scoop guys... Could be doing you more harm than good!

Thoughts?

yeah cowl hoods and the like are better than hood scoops but a hood scoop is still better than nothing.....any amount of cool air is better than hot underhood air ya know?

also, the boss 9's were really limited in carb size too so anything you could do to get more air into those giant intake ports would help. ever tried breathing through a straw? that's pretty much what that big 429 was doing with that "tiny" 735 holley, short air filter and restrictive hood scoop flapper. just removing the flapper from the scoop and installing a taller air filter element was a few tenths. in fact, ford even made note of that in one of the "shop tips" newsletters along with several hop-up tricks for boss 429's, including what jets to use when re-jetting the carb, where to get headers (almost nobody headers for it at that time), suspension tweaks, timing, etc. one of these days i'm going to buy that issue of the newsletter just to have it.

Edited by bnickel