Sign in to follow this  
tony 63C

HELP NEEDED - 1969 mach 1 Stripe Locations

Hi everyone,

My first post on this forum . . and likely the first of many . . .

I have recently purchased a 69 mach 1 that has been largely restored but remains in need of some finishing touches. One of them is the application the factory stripes. Can anyone provide me with the correct origial factory mounting location of these stripes – i.e the distance from either the lower or upper body lines, or even the lower door seam?

With the side stripes it seems easy enough to just start at the rear side marker light and run a straight line that would run parallel with the upper and lower body lines, but I have seen many examples where this is achieved yet the stripes are at varying heights on the vehicle.

I am quite confident I could get it very close by eyeballing it, and then using painters tape as a guide. But I am in no hurry and thought that throwing out this question to the experts would be a prudent step just to be absolutely certain it gets done right the first time.

Hopefully a '69 mach1 owning member of this forum will take a moment share some simple measurements. Perhaps I am being too nitpicky for asking this question, but I want to avoid messy results like the following on otherwise beautiful looking cars . . . .

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Kindest regards,

Tony

Hi again,

Just to illustrate better what I am after: I need the distance from these reference points. Ideally, the measurements would be taken off of a survivor with original paint and decals so that we know for certain where the factory applied them.

Many thanks again,

Tony

I keep telling my wife I am good for something... One day she will believe me! ;-)

If it’s any consolation, you are not alone. I have been tirelessly trying to convince my wife of just this thing for 17 years! Fortunately, she’s a ’69 mustang fan, so my recent purchase was a definite step in the right direction.

I just started around the rear marker light and went forward.

The results will probably be OK, but it would bother me if I veered off of what the factory did.

Re the link Mike posted, there was some disagreement amongst the posters with the idea that the stripe behind the rear wheel well is actually sloped slightly downward. To check this I dug out a pic of a local original paint mach 1. This 36K mile car was for sale this past summer, and I personally examined it and confirmed that the paint is indeed original.

Fortunately, I have a very good side shot of the car that allows me to verify of the rear quarter stripe section starting at the marker light is in fact not 'straight as an arrow' back to front. I have put in a white reference line that follows just above the stripe. You can see how it follows nicely along until the rear stripe. Proof is in the pudding.

Cheers,

Tony