Sign in to follow this  
jkskinsfan

Squeaky Fan Belts

The Fan Belts on my 351W w/Power Steering are squeaking when I first start it up. I can't tell if it only one or both. I've tightened 'em both and even sprayed some Prestone Belt Dressing on the Pullys, but they still squeak. The squeak seems to go away after it's been running for a few minutes. It's really annoying. Any ideas?

How old are the belts? They may look just fine but after some years, they can stretch and even though you've got em tight, they will squeek when first fired up. I had the same problem with two year old belts. Replaced them and no squeeks. Just a thought.

Well when a belt is tight and squeaks I put candle wax on them. Sounds crazy but it works. Just take one of your wifes favorite candles out to the garage :dots:and gently press it to the belts while at idle. Make sure you press on the belt at a pulley so there are no accidents. It doesnt take much. And watch your fingers on the fan. Dont ask me why I added that.

Edited by kllerbee

Thanks for the tip, Kllerbee. I tightened the Belts a bit more and used my wife's favorite candle as you suggested. No more squeaks, but my wife couldn't understand why I had to use her "Favorite" candle. I told her that her favorite was the only one that would work, but she ain't buyin it. :biggrin: